BookSmart

Does print to PDF work?

I tried to export my book to PDF using the ‘print’ option then selecting the PDF driver (a process which works fine in MS Publisher), however once i’ve selected everything and the ‘now printing’ dialogue appears with the status bar flashing back and forth, nothing seems to be happening. I’ve printed roughly the same size document to PDF before and its taken like 20 seconds max, whereas I left BookSmart open for about half an hour and it didn’t seem to be working despite the ‘printing’ dialogue being there.

Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
MacabreMagpi
Oct 30, 2007 3:50am PDT
MacabreMagpi

It worked for me, however my book was only 40 pages long, and the smallest size at that (7"x7"). It took forever to print, and I thought it hanged, but since I read previous comments here on the forum about how long it takes to print to PDF, I was expecting it. So I went to have dinner, and when I got back it was done.

You might want to try printing a few pages to PDF first—just select the range of pages in the print dialog box. And if that works for you, print it out in small batches (maybe pages of 10) then combine into one PDF using Adobe Acrobat (if you have it). 

Posted by
adrilon
Oct 30, 2007 3:57am PDT
adrilon

The print to pdf process is a nightmare.  I have a 360 page book and it took me weeks to get it to work.  It kept taking forever then crashing by page 13.  I ended up having to upgrade to the free trial of adobe 8  per the suggestion of another blurb customer (I had adobe 6 before) and then I starting printing to pdf at 10am one day and it had only made it to page 170 by the time I left work at 7pm.  I left the computer on overnight and it was done in the morning.  good luck.

Posted by
ksalzillo
Oct 30, 2007 8:26am PDT
ksalzillo

Aw man, I need a pdf to send to a couple people to proof a book. My book is 350 pages and the print-to-pdf was taking forever. 20 pages already being 2 gb which took over an hour to process. I quit since it seemed like it wasn’t working properly.

I should have looked here first. I guess I should find another alternative to get the book proofed.

Any suggestions?
Is it a Blurb program process that makes the Adobe pdf processing so slow? or is it more of an Adobe thing? I wish there was a better proof option in Blurb. Watermarks are fine and lower quality is fine…just need a better preview option for collaborative works (without the other party getting the export file)

Posted by
nokyoki
Nov 2, 2009 2:56pm PDT
nokyoki