BookSmart

Booksmart won't open my book

I’m sure this subject has been brought up many times so my sincere apologies. I did have a look through the current topics and couldn’t find anything that’s directly relevant to my query.

A few months ago I designed, using the booksmart program installed on my pc, a new portfolio book. Over a period of several weeks I opened this project, with no problems at all, countless times to edit it before uploading and printing. 

Today I’ve opened the booksmart program so I can edit this file and reprint a new version but booksmart won’t find my book. When I search manually for it and try to import it back into booksmart, or double click the book file and try to kick start booksmart that way, I just get an error message saying ‘this file does not seem to be exported from Booksmart’.

I haven’t edited the booksmart files other than whilst editing this book from within Booksmart when I originally made the book, and I’ve checked the files on my pc. It is a complete book with all the data I need, so why won’t Booksmart open it?

Would really appreciate some help, because this book took a lot of hard work to create and I really don’t want to start again unless I can absolutely help it.

Thanks

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
marharris
Jul 20, 2011 12:00pm PDT
marharris

Have a look at the suggestions in this post.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 20, 2011 12:11pm PDT
tfrankland

Thanks will try it again. i read that post earlier. It didn’t work the first time. aha

Posted by
marharris
Jul 20, 2011 12:17pm PDT
marharris

Nope didn’t work. :(

Posted by
marharris
Jul 20, 2011 12:19pm PDT
marharris

Fixed it by moving the book on my pc into the folder Booksmart is trying to import from by default. Such a simple solution. Does beggar the question though why Booksmart can’t recognise its own filed no matter where they sit on your pc.

Posted by
marharris
Jul 20, 2011 4:09pm PDT
marharris

I have the same problem, but the above solution didn’t work. I’m stuck.

Posted by
amakepeace
Oct 15, 2011 9:08am PDT
amakepeace

Ah, it’s fixed now. After moving my backed up books to the new (defauilt folder) location, Booksmart can now see it under File | Open. Previously I was trying to recover it using File | Import.

Posted by
amakepeace
Oct 15, 2011 9:29am PDT
amakepeace

This is kind-of what happened to me, however I just recently downloaded BookSmart and I opened my book file a number of times to edit and write my novel, but now when I open BookSmart it says that I haven’t started a book yet and if I would like to start one. I did save the file quite a lot of times and I have tried ll the ideas above. I would like to avoid starting again if I can help it-can anyone give me the solution.

Thanks

Posted by
AmestyFaith
Nov 9, 2011 2:13am PDT
AmestyFaith

Have a look at the last post in this thread.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Nov 9, 2011 5:45am PDT
tfrankland

Ooops! Must have had a senior moment, I’d already posted that link in this thread. Sorry!

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Nov 9, 2011 7:51am PDT
tfrankland

Just a quick note as I have had the same problem.

My hard drive failed near the end of finishing a book and have been trying to recover it from what I backed up.

I seemed to have 2 different versions of my book, one early on and one nearly finished.

Could see all the images etc in the nearly finished one but booksmart wouldn’t open it even after moving it to  the Booksmartdata file.

I realised I had changed the name of the folder to make it easy for me to recognise in comparison to the other similar named ones I had been messing with moving around etc.

I renamed all the files the same new name as the folder & in the folder ie.

Folder name  is newname

newname.backup

newname.book

newname.jpg

newname.settings

and then the library folder is underneath,

and now it shows up when I go to open a book, PHEW.It took me so long to make that book.

Customer support weren’t much help on this but thanks for all you lot that helped me too!

Hope it’s understandable, I’m not very technological!

Yes it show in macs under;

Name of computer>Library>Application Suport>BookSmartdata>newname

Thanks guys!

Posted by
lazy_susan
Mar 1, 2013 5:55pm PDT
lazy_susan