BookSmart

Text Tip

If you have some text followed on the next line by text of a different size, it is impossible to get consistent spacing between the larger and smaller text in Booksmart. I don’t know what determines this spacing, but it cannot be consistently controlled through Booksmart’s interface. Here’s how to get around that:

• Enter the larger text
• Press <return>
• Enter the smaller text
• After the last character of the smaller text, add a space
• Drag-select the space, and set its size to what you want for the distance between the smaller and larger text

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
jshook
Aug 2, 2011 4:32pm PDT
jshook

Good tip, jshook.   

Now, do you have any fixes for the confounding and consistently frustrating tendency of BookSmart to throw extra linespaces into lyrics set up like poetry?   And, removing returns randomly so that it becomes two lines in one.   These are my challenges in a book entirely made up of poetry-looking song lyrics.     

Thanks for any ideas you may be able to share!

Posted by
RoseLight22
Aug 3, 2011 7:37am PDT
RoseLight22

I’ve never tried to do a project like that, although certainly Booksmart’s text handling is generally atrocious and unpredictable. BS does have line-spacing options (single-space, 1.5 space, and double space) so I assume you have tried those and they haven’t worked for you.

I’d try a variation of my tip. Set each line of the lyric with no spacing except what you get as a default when you hit [Return]. Then add a space at the end of each line, drag-select it and set it to the size that you want for the space between lines. Tedious, but BS seems to treat line spaces set this way consistently.

Posted by
jshook
Aug 3, 2011 11:24am PDT
jshook

Here’s a quick demo I threw together:
http://www.jshook.com/bs.html

Posted by
jshook
Aug 3, 2011 11:52am PDT
jshook

About consistently frustrating tendency of BookSmart to throw extra linespaces into lyrics set up like poetry . . .

I suggest that you delete the tied text container and use an untied one. This wil permit to manage the text page by page wich won’t be difficult to do with poetry. Try to leave enough place to add new lines at the bottom of the page if ever you would need for it. Of course, you will have to compose page by page, but it won’t be frustrating any more.

Posted by
vitrailleur
Aug 21, 2011 8:05am PDT
vitrailleur