BookSmart

Booksmart: Export full quality PDF, no watermark.

Hello there,

I have made two books through Blurb and I am happy with the results of them however here is my problem.

I made the books in tandem, from the ground up using BookSmart and apart from a few quirks with text, it generally worked fine but now I realised after all of this hard work creating the books, I can’t actually export them in any way apart from .bookexport files which is useless outside of Blurb.

I would love to see a license option (I would happily pay a fair sum of money) in BookSmart to export as a full quality PDF sans watermark so I can print the book elsewhere.

The base pricing for Blurb colour books is too much and other publishers can offer lesser quality printing a price far more reasonable for reselling. The market my book aims at is a community of writers/photographers I associate with and the price (with no markup) is making them baulk at the purchasing.

BookSmart doesn’t have any way to export without a watermark at full quality so I am going to have to do these books in a PDF writer from the ground up and go through another publisher because I didn’t realise these limitations. I believe adding a BookSmart license for export would help many people in this predicament.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Rakuli
Aug 10, 2011 5:43am PDT
Rakuli

Blurb make their money selling printing services, not from giving away software. They have no incentive to give away Booksmart so that you can use it to make a book you print elsewhere.

Posted by
jshook
Aug 10, 2011 6:19am PDT
jshook

P.S. As it is, you can print a book only by uploading it to Blurb.com from within Booksmart. That keeps it in Blurb’s system. There would be no way that I can think of for them to know how many books you made with a watermark-free Booksmart and had printed elsewhere, so they would have to charge a lot for the software because they are not going to be getting any printing business from it. And there is better software out there that lets you do just that already.

Posted by
jshook
Aug 10, 2011 6:26am PDT
jshook

I don’t think you even read my post. I don’t want Blurb to give away their software, I want to pay for a licensed copy of Booksmart that exports a full quality PDF. I have no delusion that Blurb would use Booksmart as a primary source of income but a couple of hundred dollars to export a PDF at book quality for a book that’s already been printed through their system? Sound smart to me.

If I was happy with that answer, I would have stopped when I saw an almost identical response to given to hundreds of questions in this forum.

Again, if you read my post, I am going to start my book again from the ground up in another program to be printed elsewhere because I can’t pay to export my book from BookSmart.

Thanks for replying anyway.

Posted by
Rakuli
Aug 11, 2011 1:42am PDT
Rakuli

I did read your. I’m sorry you found my response so unsatisfactory.

Posted by
jshook
Aug 12, 2011 6:40am PDT
jshook

Should be “I did read your post.” I didn’t proofread my response, however :-)

Posted by
jshook
Aug 12, 2011 6:41am PDT
jshook

Sorry, I realised my reply sounded very aggressive when it wasn’t my intention but I wasn’t able to edit it once posted. It was just that you didn’t comment on whether Blurb have considered looking at the license to export PDFs sans watermark.

I realise now that this will probably never happen so I have purchased InDesign so I can work with PDFs from now on and choose Blurb or another company when the times come for printing.

Thank you.

Posted by
Rakuli
Aug 13, 2011 2:27am PDT
Rakuli

Try this. Put your page in edit mode as wide as possible on your screen. Then capture the picture and save it under a pdf format or another format. Then use this picture where you want. Make test to be sure it works as you wish.

Posted by
vitrailleur
Aug 21, 2011 6:20am PDT
vitrailleur

Run away from Blurb´s Book"Dumb" App!

I use Apple Aperture to make my books and even using Book-no-to-smart i can´t live free os his glitches..

Posted by
4him
Sep 14, 2011 11:32am PDT
4him

It won’t – Blurb prices are based on size of book, number of pages and choice of paper and cover not on the design tool. If you select Book Pricing under the Help menu (at the top or bottom of this page) you’ll see the details.

…..Ton

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 14, 2011 11:50am PDT
tfrankland

I’ve no idea what happened there? – that was my reply to a previous post!

Let me try again…..

4him,

how about making a useful contribution to the forums instead of a blanket condemnation. For instance, what are the issues you have with BookSmart? In what ways is Aperture better? What problems have you had with the books you have published with Blurb? How  does the quality of those compare with those you have published with Apple from Apertaure?

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 14, 2011 11:57am PDT
tfrankland

Hi Rakuli,

I’m in the exact same boat as you. I have been using Blurb for years now, and this is really aggravating.

Tony, here is a list of the problems that I am having with both Blurb and Booksmart:

1) Print quality is incredibly varied. Some of my books come back as expected, and others return so dark that I can barely read the text. Blurb needs to work on the reliability of the ink jets used so that the product can be replicated time and time again, without variation.

2) The paper cropping has been sloppy on my last two books. One was cut on such an angle, that it looked intentional. The 1/2 inch border that I had around a full page photo started as 1/8 inch on the inside, and ended at 1/2 inch by the outside. Considering the price, I expect straight cutting.

3) Multiple times someone has stuck a barcode directly to one of the printed covers, and although they are easy to remove, they leave residue around the perimeter of where the barcode laid. If I am sending a client a book, I expect that they books will be in good condition, and not have gunk on the back.

4) The inability to print a non watermarked PDF is incredibly irritating. I’ve already ordered 1,000 copies of one of my books- I’ve made it clear to them that I am ordering more- and yet I can’t get a copy of my work. I’ve bought the ebook version, and the layout gets all messed about. That’s a terrible feature, and I regret having paid for it.

5) There is no loyalty program. Considering how often I’ve printed with Blurb, I should be offered a reward for continued business. There is no incentive for me to remain a customer when I can take my business elsewhere, and for less money.

6) The delivery system is completely flawed. When I placed the batch order for the first 1,000 copies of one of my books, the delivery man was instructed to leave the boxes on my front door, no signature needed. I had $20,000 work of product sitting on my front steps for the entire day while I was at work. To make matters worse, it rained that day. The only reason that I didn’t lose my order was because a neighbour ran across the street, and lugged 15 boxes over to their house, in the rain. It is a severe flaw that it was not a sign-on-delivery order, and it would have messed up my time frame to have had to reprint them.

7) Blurb’s booksmart software is incredibly basic. There should be a free edit mode where I can do full layout on each page without having to click on “edit page” for each layout. While in free edit, there should be snap grids to aid in aligning photos, and also a selection box so that photo boxes can appear at a predetermined size. The software designers should play around with Quark, and try to emulate their example.

I have been very fair and patient with Blurb over the past years, but this is too much. I’ve been writing back and forth with their customer service team, and nothing is being done to resolve my issue. I am now going to have to scan in every page of my book manually to make a digital archive. I agree with Rakuli in that I would pay to have a PDF copy- I know that their software isn’t free.

I am very disappointed, and for many reasons, I am finding another printer.

Posted by
WaggyAl
May 31, 2012 7:20am PDT
WaggyAl

Hmm,

I am a wedding photographer and create wedding photo books for clients. Unfortunately, I have hit a bump now that I need a book-proof for my client to approve. I certainly don’t want Blurb logos on my work or for my client to have to open the bookexport file through the blurb site.

Why can’t they allow a basic, low-res version for viewing on screen for professional middle-(wo)men like myself? I don’t want to steal anything, I just need a suitable way to present a proof to the client before I print.

Does anyone from Blurb/Booksmart read this?

Some feedback would be good.

Thanks, Kirsten

Posted by
kirstensiv
Jan 29, 2013 6:44am PDT
kirstensiv

Hi Kirsten,

You can now order a PDF of an uploaded book for under $10. You do not need to also order a print version so this may be an effective way to send a PDFproof to a client.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Jan 29, 2013 2:05pm PDT
csm Icon_staff

I happened to come across this website http://goo.gl/3KGmi5 when I was looking for a perfect way to edit PDF files. I would really recommend this, no software to download and install. It’s a great service you can upload your own PDF file so you can edit or fill it out online and sign the document, save, print, email and even fax it. Also you can find the right fillable form anytime using the form search engine that contains more than 10 Million forms. Check it out there is no harm in trying.

Posted by
eliejulz
Aug 29, 2013 2:14am PDT
eliejulz

My problem is similar. I did fairly well with Booksmart and would definitely buy the software of course, but to only have a book for sale that costs 3 times as much as anyone would expect… $50.00 for my 80 page photo book! WHat? I will not make any sales on Blurb except perhaps an ebook which is not easy to convince just anybody to buy. Got to move on. I should have investigated.

Posted by
erikpeterhan
Sep 29, 2013 4:12pm PDT
erikpeterhan

There is a way to export your text, at least, and Blurb will no doubt not like me telling you this (they actually do make a profit on Blurb’s usage). I too made many corrections to my novel directly on Blurb; only after printing the book did I discover the need for extensive edits—too many to do online. And I too had not saved a copy of the final novel with edits to my word processor before publishing it to Blurb. But I found a way to recapture my book….

I actually purchased (outrageous I would have to purchase my own book!) my book from Blurb as a PDF (an option now allowed). I too found I could not edit that PDF as it was a booksmart/Blurb-specific PDF that was imported into my computer upon purchase. So…I took the following steps:

1. I printed a copy of the Blurb pdf, using CutePDF Writer (a free program), and saved the new book to my desktop as a .PDF (hereafter "Saved PDF").

2. Using Abby FineReader 6.0 Pro (a program I think we purchased online many years ago; it is an OCR/PDF reader that will read and convert PDFs to text which you can save to your word processing program; and I am sure there are many fine OCR programs out there that will do the same for you), I first deleted all the blank and picture pages in the Saved PDF, then OCRed the book, and saved that into my word processing program. It is not perfect; there are many formatting and text corrections I will have to make (for instance, it imported the page headings and numbers, which now have to be deleted), but at least I have my book back, with all the edits I made on Blurb, and can now correct and edit matters at my leisure in my word processor.

Posted by
berngard3
Mar 30, 2014 9:06am PDT
berngard3