BookSmart

Can I work on my book on 2 different computers?

I started working o my book at work but i want to work on it at home. I cannot figure out how if at all to work this out. Anyone ??

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Jessicalin25
Oct 31, 2007 4:16pm PDT
Jessicalin25

I know you can move it.

To move it: go to the file menu, at the bottom, choose “Backup/ Export Book” copy the resulting file over to your other computer , use File>Import Book…
(I’ve never done it- but I haven’t read anything that says it doesn’t. But, I’d do a last preview check on the second computer before sending it in.)

As to going back and forth between two computers…. ?
aah

Posted by
CasaDeWoof
Oct 31, 2007 7:24pm PDT
CasaDeWoof

Sure you can, as long as you understand how to conduct backups, how to export and to import your ‘working .book’ files between two platforms. To make this work, it is important that you understand how computer works with files, how to find file in its hard drive. If you do not have understanding on how computer works, then it might be a problem for you.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Oct 31, 2007 11:03pm PDT
brianbonitz

Hello Jessicalin25;

1. Make sure that BOTH your work computer AND your home computer have the SAME release of BookSmart installed. Current release is 1.9.1

2a. From your WORK computer, use File, Backup/Export and export the file to a CD or DVD.

2b. Alternatively, if you don’t have access to a CD/DVD writer, use File, Backup/Export and copy the file to a safe folder… Then (with thanks to Francesco – another Blurb user for the tip) use http://www.largefilesasap.com/ to FTP the file to your home e-mail address.

3. At HOME, retrieve the file from LargeFilesASAP.com to a safe folder.

4. Open BookSmart, use File, Import and then get the file from your safe folder…. You use the same process if you copied the file to a CD/DVD…

Using that system, you can then push the file back & forth between your two machines if you need to, simply over-writing the "old" file each time you do so…

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Nov 1, 2007 2:38am PDT
lkb-28

PS:

If the book is small (in number of pages) you may be able tyo e-mail it – but typically the BookSmartdata files are HUGE!

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Nov 1, 2007 3:04am PDT
lkb-28

A 2 gig flash drive should be able to move you from one pc to another with no problems.  $25 at your neares big box store.

Posted by
corymalone
Nov 1, 2007 1:26pm PDT
corymalone

nearest

Posted by
corymalone
Nov 1, 2007 1:26pm PDT
corymalone

Hi corymalone;

EXCELLENT tip about the Flash Drive – thanks – hadn’t thought of that… Of course that’s a much easier solution for moving files today…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Nov 2, 2007 12:56am PDT
lkb-28

Hi Jessica,
I recently met you at the pool (EAC) and we were discussing your book. It looks great! I had wanted to ask you some more questions about Blurb. Trying to decide if this might be the company for me.
Can you email me directly?
my email is:
jenvainisi@earthlink.net
Thanks!
Jenny

Posted by
Maya12
Feb 1, 2009 7:44am PDT
Maya12