BookSmart

newbie ?....my images are black in preview mode +edit mode

hi!

i’m designing my first book (yippee!), and have my images formatted according to Blurb’s specifications…i load them into blurb, and dragndrop to my pages.  they turn black!? the first time, i had multiple programs open at once. i closed everything, then reopened blurb, then reimported the image files…and it happened again.  any help would be appreciated!

thanks—kiki

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
kritta
Nov 1, 2007 5:20pm PDT
kritta

Forgive me if I’m asking the obvious but are you sure you imported JPG’s and that you are placing them into picture areas and not text? If so fill out a Technical Support form under Help and you should hear from someone tomorrow.

Posted by
lcarreira
Nov 1, 2007 6:12pm PDT
lcarreira

And (perhaps again obvious) but if you were working in something like photoshop…
One time I saved a layer instead of the whole file and there was a whole lot of black (everything that had been transparent in ps became black when saved as jpeg since jpeg doesn’t support transparency). So, if this is this case, make sure you “save as” to jpeg or png (it will flatten and save a copy in your chosen format, but you’ll still have the ps file to go back and tweak if need be)
aah

Posted by
CasaDeWoof
Nov 1, 2007 6:34pm PDT
CasaDeWoof

I’m having the same problem…I’ve created a document in photoshop according to blurb’s specifications…when I upload it to blurb I can see my image as I created it, but when I drag it into the full page photo…it turns all black and gives me a warning- that my resolution is too low and it says the pixels and height/width requirements….but my measurements are accurate to what blurb says it has to be. I’m not sure what the problem is…

Posted by
coleo8
Nov 4, 2007 12:23am PDT
coleo8

Are you dealing with B&W images?  If so, I had the same problem at one point and learned that although my images are iin greyscale, they should be uploaded as RGBs.  So, at the end of whatever image editing you do, do the following (In Photoshop): Image:  Mode:  RGB color.  That solved it for me.  That doesn’t add color to the image, just makes it somehow "acceptable" for uploading.

Posted by
SJG
Nov 5, 2007 9:39am PDT
SJG

That’s weird, I would think it would need to be in CMYK for print…But, thanks…I’ll convert to RGB and see if that makes a difference.

Posted by
coleo8
Nov 6, 2007 11:39am PDT
coleo8

thanks for the input! it was an "RGB" color mode issue!!

Posted by
kritta
Nov 6, 2007 7:18pm PDT
kritta