BookSmart

Ebook has formatting errors

HI. I have downloaded my novel in ebook form and am very annoyed to find that it has formatting errors thoughout, such as:

• Extra lines inserted
  • Indents of varying depth
  • Text flowing out of the container and covering the page numbers.

It looks dreadful. Has anyone else experienced this, and do you know of a solution?

Thanks, Pete

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
petercaulf
Oct 22, 2011 3:49pm PDT
petercaulf

What are you viewing it on? I saw formatting errors when viewing my books on a mac using adobe digital edition, but viewing through the ibook app on an iphone it looked fine (if tiny – I don’t have an ipad!).

Posted by
thill1111
Oct 22, 2011 6:20pm PDT
thill1111

I had a similar problem with my font. I’m not sure if it’s the same problem you encountered, but I e-mailed blurb and they told me that there are only a selection of fonts that can be used in their ebooks. If you are using a font that can’t be used in their ebooks it will change your font. This is what caused my book to have font placement problems. Here is what they said:

The following is a list of licensed fonts which will convert without any issues from your BookSmart file to your ebook file:

American Typewriter
Arial
Avenir
Calvert
Century Schoolbook
Courier New
Dartangnon
Englische Schreibschrift
Georgia
Helvetica Neue
Snell Roundhand
Stempel Garamond
Stone Humanist
Times New Roman
Trebuchet
Verdana
Zemke Handwritten

They also told me that next year they might have an ebook editor of some type. They said:

We are looking forward to releasing an ebook editor in the future, but this may not be implemented until early next year.

Hope that helps. :)

Posted by
MegMNM
Oct 24, 2011 1:44pm PDT
MegMNM

I’m wondering if people have uploaded their books that have been created using InDesign have the problem with fonts that are unsupported by blurb? 

My book does use fonts not supported and this has caused pagination problems, text overrun.  Also some images are showing up as negative (this is a known issue).  I’ve written to support and had responses, so nothing can be done unless I redesign my book with new fonts and if the image issues are fixed.  So, for the time being I am foregoing the option to sell my book as an iBook.  It’s not how I want it or intended it to look. 

I’m thrilled blurb is working on this and making it as seamless as possible.  But anything less than a carbon copy of my physical book is not good enough for me.

I see in other areas of the forums that it has been mentioned that epub files are open source and they’re not secure, so the hi-res images in an ebook could be easily extracted.  What I am wondering is if I can duplicate my book using a smaller book size (say 7×7) and use lower resolution images?  I guess I need to look that up.  :-)

Posted by
rudyfan
Oct 26, 2011 2:51pm PDT
rudyfan

My ebook is a MESS! I contacted support to refund my $1.99. :)

My fonts are changed, my test is overrunning the boxes, I have container box lines that are visible, I have extra lines inserted, the formatting is crazy, etc. I have contacted support and thought there was an option to send screen shots but that option did not appear. The book preview looks fine but the high cost of the book plus their overpriced shipping fees makes my potential customers balk at ordering it. The ebook option seemed so wonderful until I opened it for proofing. I suppose I could create some of the text as images and insert them but it seems so silly to have to do that the visible container boxes is the biggest problem next to the overrun Even the “acceptable” fonts aren’t printing correctly. I hope there is a solution soon.

Posted by
bnshdl
Oct 31, 2011 4:44am PDT
bnshdl

Some of my photos show up as negatives.

Posted by
mcphotoart
Nov 1, 2011 10:03am PDT
mcphotoart

I’m having serious problems with the Adobe Digitial Editions properly exhibiting my Blurb eBook. My eBook looks wonderful on the iPhone and iPad, but is buggy and useless with the Adobe Digital Editions reader on my Mac. It’s slow and poorly responds to key commands, the text overlaps or is missing, some photos are clipped in half. The book cover is only partially displayed with little text. All in all a mismatch of expectations versus actual performance. Are there any recommendations from Blurb or Adobe regarding any fixes?

Posted by
Photoman9
Mar 4, 2012 2:24pm PDT
Photoman9

Hi Photoman9,

Unfortunately, the epub format we provide is only compatible with iOS devices at this time.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Mar 6, 2012 8:52am PDT
csm Icon_staff

Hi,

As of July 2012, I’m having the same problem. Too bad I read it today. Are we entitled to a refund or credit?

Which are the other options besides waiting?

On the other hand, thanks Blurb for your effort. Hope you succeed resolving this issue. Please keep us informed.

Thanks,

Juan 

Posted by
Juanpepis
Jul 29, 2012 11:26am PDT
Juanpepis

I have a problem with the preview image on the ebookstore page is messed up, but the actual ebook is fine.  The email from support claims that they don’t support the Japanese font I used, but if that’s the case then they shouldn’t have generated the ebook correctly using that Japanese font. 

The only problem I have is with the preview image they generated to show in the bookstore.  It looks like the software printed out the numeric Unicode numbers instead of the corresponding Unicode characters. 

As I said, it worked fine when converting to the ebook format,but that preview image is wrong.  I don’t understand why they can’t just make an image from the ebook page which worked, instead of using an image that’s broken that doesn’t come from the ebook.

Posted by
adiseker
Aug 6, 2012 8:20pm PDT
adiseker

I have had to change the resolution of the book cover photograph for this specific reason, I have had to change the font also which has left me a little confused.

Surely the font should be supported after all it is a font used in the making of the book, but to be re-edit the book solely for the reason  that the font is not licensed (Font used was AR Christy. This font is not supported by iOS when converting to iBooks. 

We all know and love Apple products as we do using Blurb and its applications to edit/create the books. We eventually sell to prospective buyers, however are we not risking losing sales in  this apparent hiccup?

Surely with hindsight this can be changed to suit cross-scripting or rather cross-formatting. 

The other point of course is the resolution issue, when creating the book the photograph seems okay for large landscape/portfolio; but as we convert for iBooks which is iPad/iPhone display which is actually smaller in comparison than my laptop display. We get the message to decrease/increase/edit size of image after publishing hard back version. 

This alters the very appearance of the nature of the book as rudyfan above has pointed out. What help / giuidance can adhere to to ensure we get an acceptable format for converting to ebooks? 

Thanks in advance.

Posted by
rothwell172
May 3, 2013 3:30am PDT
rothwell172

Clearly the ebook software is not yet good enough, I would love to use it , but the present version needs a vast re write.

Posted by
rib9462
May 11, 2013 6:25am PDT
rib9462