BookSmart

Lightroom Plugin Error

When I use the Booksmart Lightroom plugin to “publish” a collection from Lightroom to Booksmart, I get an error saying “Make sure you install the latest version of blurb Booksmart” followed by “cant Update this collection. Publish abandoned”

I am using the latest version of the BS plugin, the booksmart program and of Lightroom v3.5. I also tried on an earlier version of lightroom. I have tried uninstalling/re-installing both the plugin and booksmart. All my other export and publish plugins work fine, including the Blurb Bookify export plugin.

My system is Win 7 64bit, lightroom v3.5 64 bit.

I am desperately trying to proceed with a large book project and this is stopping me in my tracks.

Does anyone have any advice. I have placed a customer support request…

Thanks

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
ccclapp
Nov 2, 2011 6:53am PDT
ccclapp

As a follow up to my question above, I am wondering if a workaround will work??:

If, from Lightroom, I publish my book photo collection to “hardrive” and then import the exported images to booksmart, will Booksmart update after I update the export folder from lightroom? In other words, after Booksmart has initialy imported images, does it continue to track the original source image (so I can perform image adjustments to the source file) and update the image in Booksmart? Or does Booksmart copy the source file and lose any connection to it (and its updates)?

Posted by
ccclapp
Nov 2, 2011 7:00am PDT
ccclapp

In case anyone else is having this issue…I submitted a support ticket two days ago and have received no reply. Blurb is again furthering their reputation for poor customer support! I have a large book project that is stopped in its tracks…almost time to go elsewhere for my publishing needs.

Posted by
ccclapp
Nov 3, 2011 12:34pm PDT
ccclapp

I have exactly the same problem. Only difference is I use Lightroom 3.5 32bit.

Posted by
C_butler
Nov 4, 2011 2:27am PDT
C_butler

Hi guys-

Sorry to hear support is not helping out as quickly as you had expected. We’ve recently become aware of this issue and have no solution just yet due to the isolated nature of the problem (we’re unable to reproduce this behavior in-house).

We’ll continue to work with you to hopefully find a solution so please hang in there.

-Craig 

Posted by
csm
Nov 4, 2011 7:58am PDT
csm Icon_staff

I received the same error message.  I have the latest version of Booksmart and 3.5 lightroom running on XP windows.  The lightroom plug-in is in place but I am unable to upload from LR to Booksmart.  I was really looking forward to using these two programs together and have published more than 25 books. 

Posted by
Weingeist
Nov 4, 2011 10:32am PDT
Weingeist

I’m another one having the same problem, win7 64 bit, lightroom 3.4.1 and Booksmart 3.2.1.

When I try to publish I get the error:

"You do not have the latest version of Blurb Booksmart installed."

Posted by
jscorer
Nov 4, 2011 12:31pm PDT
jscorer

I received excellent tech support from Blurb on this issue today.

In his opinion the problem is due to the fact that I have My Docs, User Data, etc on a separate drive from my OS and Program files. I do this because I have a SSD drive for my os/programs and a larger drive for my “data”.

Do the others having this problem, have similarly segregated setups?

For me the issue was that either the Booksmart or the LR plugin seemed to have installed one or more files in a different location than required for the plugin to work. I have asked the tech to follow up with me by providing the exact file names that needed to be copied to another location to restore functionality.

I believe it is as follows:
search your PC for a folder called “.blurb”. It should contain a file called “bsc.settings”. If it is not already located in the following location, copy it to: Users/(Your User Name) so afterwards the path will be: Users/(Your User Name)/.blurb/bsc.settings. I believe that is the folder/file required and the location in which they need to reside, but I am not positive until I hear back from the tech.

Please report if you have a similar setup as i and if these files are not where they should be on you pc, and of course, if this fix solves the problem.

Good luck!

Posted by
ccclapp
Nov 4, 2011 12:58pm PDT
ccclapp

I do have My Docs on a different drive than my Program Files and from Windows.

However, I have no folder called “.blurb” (or, indeed with the string ‘blurb’ in its name) nor bsc.settings.

Posted by
C_butler
Nov 5, 2011 8:13am PDT
C_butler

…my guess is you do have it and it is in the wrong location, as was mine. Try searching both the C-drive and the drive containing My Docs. It took the tech a while to find it on mine.

Posted by
ccclapp
Nov 5, 2011 8:47am PDT
ccclapp

You were right. Thanks for persevering. I thought you mean that the folder would be on my Windows drive or in My Docs. In fact it was in the Desktop, but another user’s desktop, not mine !

The Publish now works in Lightroom and I can see all the files in a folder called BookSmartData. However I can’t see what to do to get the files into BookSmart. The web instructions say “Click on Import Your Collections”, but I can’t see an “Import Your Collections” command.

I could just go get the photos using Get Photos, but I don’t think that’s right and I don’t think they’d be updated if I edit them in Lightroom if I do that.

Any ideas ?

Posted by
C_butler
Nov 6, 2011 8:18am PDT
C_butler

I’ve answered my own question.

If you’ve ever clicked on the “Next time open to my most recent book.” on the splash screen you wont see the “Import Your Collections” option unless you close your last book when it opens automatically !

Posted by
C_butler
Nov 6, 2011 8:46am PDT
C_butler

I’m having the same trouble with the message, ""You do not have the latest version of Blurb Booksmart installed."  I’ve put copies of the .blurb folder into a new folder c:\users, into c:\users\Administrator, and c:\documents and settings\administrator.   Still no luck.  My Lightroom catalog is on an external hard disk.

Posted by
smela
Nov 7, 2011 6:02pm PDT
smela

…is your user name “administrator” if not do your user name. If you cant see your user folder/files, be sure you have windows explorer set to view hidden files/folders. Google that if unclear.

Posted by
ccclapp
Nov 7, 2011 8:49pm PDT
ccclapp

Yes, I’m Administrator.  All my documents, including BookSmartData, are in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents.  The Lightroom catalog is on a different drive.

Posted by
smela
Nov 8, 2011 8:12pm PDT
smela

Thanks, that’s fixed it for me.

As you describe I also have an SSD for applications and a separate disk on for data, in my case the SSD had started to fill up so I moved the location of my desktop data off of the SSD to the data disk. But this left an out of date .blurb & bsc.settings files present in my users folder so Lightrrom still returned an error. Replacing them with the most recent versions, that I found by doing a computer wide search for .blurb, fixed the problem.

Posted by
jscorer
Nov 9, 2011 10:51am PDT
jscorer

Hi all,

Nice to see some common themes as to the root of the problem. It is important to note that the copied .blurb folder, while it will allow the plug-in to work correctly for now, it will never be updated as BookSmart does not know it was copied, nor where it was copied to.

User folders that are not saved in the default location is not something that is officially supported, and no testing has been done for this for possible negative outcomes by copying this folder. That said, we’ll look into a better solution for future plug-in updates.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Nov 9, 2011 12:02pm PDT
csm Icon_staff

…while our setup is not “standard” it is fairly widespread and I suspect very widespread among the crowd using lightroom publish service plugins (power user photographers) most anyone who knows what they’re doing with a SSD drive sets up this way

Posted by
ccclapp
Nov 11, 2011 7:05am PDT
ccclapp

I’m getting the same error but I DON"T have files on different disks. ?!?!

Posted by
vanhouse
Jan 13, 2012 6:50pm PDT
vanhouse

Argh! I’m having this same problem – but my files are on the same drive. Going mad…

Posted by
kcoulson
Feb 11, 2012 11:08pm PDT
kcoulson

Hi kcoulson,

I recommend contacting support for more help with this.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Feb 13, 2012 9:47am PDT
csm Icon_staff

That worked for me. – what a crazy error!

Posted by
mattstabeler
Feb 24, 2012 2:43am PDT
mattstabeler

I had this issue as well. Here is a slight variation on ccclapp’s suggestion: instead of copying the .blurb directory or the bsc.settings file, use the junction command-line tool to create a symbolic link. For example, in my case all I needed to do to fix the problem was enter this command from the ‘cmd’ command-prompt:

junction C:\Users\Brendan\.blurb D:\my_data\.blurb

Basically, this means any program that tries to read from inside the directory C:\Users\Brendan\.blurb will instead read from D:\my_data\.blurb. I believe this is better, because it means everything should stay up to date when you install new versions, etc (though I haven’t tested this).

You can find the junction command-line tool here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

Posted by
hbmcmahan
Oct 20, 2012 2:35pm PDT
hbmcmahan

I had the same problem and here’s what fixed it for me.  In LR, right click on the published collection under Blurb and click edit.  You can either create or add photos to an existing book.  After I did this the link in Booksmart was there.  I also added new photos to the publication so I’m not sure if the addition of photos updated the link or if editing the publication did it. 

HTH

Posted by
ptpaton
Nov 10, 2012 12:27pm PDT
ptpaton