BookSmart

Any plans to increase font choices in ebooks?

I, like others, ordered the ebook and was disappointed that my font was changed.

I found the FAQ which gives a list of acceptable fonts for ebooks.

Is this a temporary situation or will Blurb offer ebooks in the future with our choice of font?

As your own videos and tutorials say, choosing a font that is aesthetically in tune with your book makes it more professional. I went to a lot of trouble to choose just the right font for my book and I really would like to see the ebook use that font.

Thanks,
Deena

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
DeenaBerton
Nov 6, 2011 6:49pm PDT
DeenaBerton

Hi Deena,

The font conversion in ebooks has definitely been one of the more difficult things to educate users about. The main challenge is conveying the use of approximately 20 fonts not as a restriction, but as a feature. This is because most ebooks converted outside of Blurb are typically converted to a single default font (like Times New Roman or Arial) unless quite a lot of money is spent on including a custom font.

Ebook font licensing differs than that of the fonts used to create a printed book from BookSmart. I can’t say we’ll never add more fonts for ebook, but it’s unlikely to include more than the current offering for some time.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Nov 7, 2011 11:14am PDT
csm Icon_staff

Very useful information, thank you Craig.

Posted by
Witimagery
Nov 13, 2011 2:41pm PDT
Witimagery

I have to say, this lack of licensed fonts is a total deal breaker for me. I choose and integrate fonts as a critical part of my book’s design. Captions, body text and headlines are all very relevant in the creation of a fine art book. The very few standard fonts that Blurb offers for the eBooks is in line with an amateur venue but not something that would ever be acceptable to any serious designer. What a bummer to not be able to do eBooks without totally redesigning what I’ve already put countless hundreds of hours into.

Posted by
beaniecapguy
Aug 15, 2012 3:11pm PDT
beaniecapguy