BookSmart

13x11 Cover Optons - Booksmart not smart

I have just tried to get a 13×11 printed in soft cover. Booksmart’s program offers this option. Tech support says it doesn’t exist… hard cover only.

Why does the damn thing show up in the program if it isn’t available?

Not so smart? Or is tech support out of the loop?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
timrock
Nov 6, 2007 4:00pm PDT
timrock

Hi timrock –
I believe you are victim of an UI oversight, though I imagine that doesn’t change your view. If you Start a New Book in BookSmart. You’ll see that on the first screen of the setup wizard, Choose Book Size, that it mentions 13×11 is available in Hardcover only. In addition the pricing page only has pricing for Hardcover: http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/77892

But, as you point out once the book is started you can choose to view the Softcover preview of the book when viewing the cover in BookSmart. So, i wouldn’t say not so smart BookSmart, as more not so smart UI design on my part.

I’ll see if I can pull-in Bruce, our VP of Print, to discuss briefly why we don’t offer softcover in that large format.
Thanks, Chad, VP Design

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Nov 14, 2007 10:14am PDT
CapnScrappy

Howdy timrock, the problem with doing a soft cover version of our large format book is that it would require a different set of cover and paper specifications than our other books to keep it from being just too flexible.  Plus, as we get into this size of book, the cost of making it a hardcover product is a smaller percentage of the overall cost, meaning that there would not be a significant discount for softcover in this size.

We are always open to suggestions, although I have to say we really have not gotten a lot of call for softcover 13×11.  I’ll keep it in our suggestions queue for our new product discussions in 2008.

Best,

—bw 

Posted by
bruce
Nov 14, 2007 10:21am PDT
bruce Icon_staff

I think a large format soft cover option would be great. If there was nice uncoated cover weight option…oooohhhh. I would even love a 11×17 option – great for design portfolios! 

Posted by
redketchup
Nov 28, 2007 10:38pm PDT
redketchup

I just had the same problem!  Wedding books are typically 11×13 which tend to be expensive, so it would seem to me that the Blurb execs would try to work this out.  Wedding guests can be young, college students, and they can’t afford $70+ for a wedding book (including shipping). 

I’d love to get a soft cover of the wedding book that I just uploaded – now that I’ve read this post, I’ve discovered that I can’t do that.  Really a big bummer….come on guys!!  : (

Posted by
robtakendall
Nov 29, 2007 5:16pm PDT
robtakendall

I personally don’t think the soft cover would hold up very well in that big of book. Plus, the hard cover really gives it that extra professional look. Isn’t that what your clients would rather have?

Posted by
drupnow
Nov 29, 2007 7:21pm PDT
drupnow

I also just realized that the 13×11 book I am making offers soft cover in the Booksmart software but Blurb does not offer that option!  It’s not the price point that I care about primarily.  It’s that dust jackets get frayed and torn and don’t always stay with a book, whereas the soft cover is a permanaent part of it.   A nice option pricier on-demand printers offer is a case wrap hard cover which is the best of both options in my opinion.

Posted by
Eltonk
Dec 9, 2007 12:23pm PDT
Eltonk

Somewhat related, but maybe a new thread?...

"It’s that dust jackets get frayed and torn and don’t always stay with a book, whereas the soft cover is a permanaent part of it.   "

Is it ever going to be possible for Blurb to provide a means of selecting a colour for its hardcover option… and will it ever be possible for Blurb to permanently stamp the spine and the front hard cover (like most real books) with the Title/Author… so when the sleeves get frayed and torn… that the Blurb book; along with many others I would image, can still be identified from its spine or cover?

Posted by
smithd21
Dec 13, 2007 9:21am PDT
smithd21

Hi all,

Just checking in. Thanks for the cover options suggestions. We are scoping the addition of new print (such as embossing) and material (such as different cover and laminate) options, and may have some new choices available sometime in 2008.

However, these decisions aren’t announced, even to us here in tech support, until all necessary research has been done. So I’d say that we’re absolutely researching your requests, and I hope that we’re able to fulfill some of your wishes in the coming year. Regarding a softcover 13×11, however, I wouldn’t get your hopes up too high. Such a book would be really, really floppy!

Best regards and Happy New Year,

Jeremy 

Posted by
jbates
Dec 27, 2007 6:06pm PDT
jbates

Firstly, i’d like to suggest to Blurb that you update the BookSmart software to fix the defect whereby Large Landscape 11×13 and Softcover can be simultaneously set in the UI.  Regardless of the feedback you provide upon intiating or ordering a project.  This defect allows users to carry on with their project only to get shafted with bad news at the end.  In terms of user experience, there is zero ground regained by Blurb with the note from CapnScrappy that the user should have paid more attention.  Again, regardless of the multiple points on the site with copy regarding lack of Softcover support for Large Landscape, please dont assume the user has initiated their project via the Setup Wizard.

Second, with all due respect to Staff concerns about  flexibility and/or impact to printing costs, i would like to formally request an enhancement to the Blurb service whereby you offer Softcover support for Large Landscape.  It seems logical that in order to acheive this, different cover materials might be needed to address flexibility concerns.  Personally, i wouldnt mind "really, really floppy" (ok, did i really just write that?!).  For me (as well as others if judging by Forum), this has far less to do with price concerns over Hardcover then it does with my concerns about the dust jacket quality over time. 

You guys are still A+ in my (ahem) book for quality of product and service.  So, please excuse my tone.  This UI defect was discovered veeeerrry late last night after many hours spent on a phantom Softcover Large Landscape project.

Alrighty then…
seannarae

Posted by
seannarae
Jan 15, 2008 1:03pm PDT
seannarae