BookSmart

Random addition of extra 200 blank pages at once.

So, I am basically done with this black and white text trade book using 3.2.0 and was making a few little text format tweaks. The spreads were locked. The book is 192 pages. Suddenly, this pop up comes up and says, warning, you are about to exceed the 450+ pages.  What? So I look and suddenly I’ve got over 200 additional blank pages that were inserted into the middle of this book willy nilly as I’m working on one little line!. Deleting them is taking a long time. How could this happen and is there a faster way to delete all these pages that a few at a time?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
6degreespubl
Nov 21, 2011 4:44pm PDT
6degreespubl

Careful! Don’t lock or unlock your pages again until you’ve uploaded the latest version of Booksmart. There’s a problem with the 3.2.1 (I think that’s the number) where when you unlock pages you end up adding blank pages. I have 24,000+ pages and haven’t been able to delete more than 200. I haven’t figured out how to copy the work I’ve moved over into a new book. And opening my current book keeps crashing Booksmart. There’s another thread in the support forums about this — I’m looking for it now.

Posted by
auk55555
Nov 21, 2011 10:03pm PDT
auk55555

Update: Support said that while you can update the program it will only work on new books, not the existing. Bad news. I thought a solution would be that I could just export it, update the program and then import it with a different file name. Can’t do that. They say it won’t work to fix the problem on an existing book. This makes me very unhappy. I understand programs go wacky sometimes but I have not seen an email to those who downloaded the program as a heads up. I get a lot of promo emails from Blurb.  It takes a long time to create a book with this system and the lack of communication to customers about program gliches is disappointing. There’s a trust issue here now that has to be considered when deciding which company I use for books. Do I start another book? Just not sure at this point.

Posted by
6degreespubl
Nov 23, 2011 9:17am PDT
6degreespubl

I have just completed a book and about to post for printing. Suddenly three blank pages have appeared in the middle of the book and it is impossible to get rid of them. None of the current available tools will get rid of these pages.
I tried changing then to photo pages and this only created a picture page and another blank page.
I then moved the pictures after the blank pages and managed to get the three blank pages to the back of the book. When the last page reached the back of the book, after a lot of work, three more blank pages appeared where I had moved the others from.
Previous bad history with Blurb has stopped me using them for a year. This is the final straw as I need ten of the books for Christmas presents.
Useless service from the online help. It ignores your question and gives a list of topics you don’t want.

Posted by
DFBINGHAM
Nov 27, 2011 4:47am PDT
DFBINGHAM

Hello DFBingham,
If you want I can help you put your book together, hopefully in time for Xmas. Depends on how complicated it is. YOu can upload your files usning WeTransfer dot com. Feel free to contact me at petersonpictures dot com.
Maybe I can help
b

Posted by
rcpblue
Dec 13, 2011 7:31pm PDT
rcpblue