BookSmart

BookSmart Cannot Be Trusted--Doesn't Save Updates and Corrected Versions

I have BookSmart 1.9.1. Don’t have much experience with the previous generation of it, but what I am experiencing is something that is intolerable in printing and publishing at any level.

After making a change to the color of the type in my headers, and applying them, and saving them routinely, the type color reverts to the wrong, original color. What a pain in the ass! I can’t get it to work consistently now. It’s hard enough to make changes and catch all the inconsistencies in a book layout, but when the software can’t function properly and maintain and preserve the author’s corrections, it borders on being worthless. What is worse is, there seems to be no pattern to it. Sometimes the changes stick, sometimes they don’t.

I love the potential of BookSmart, and Blurb.com, but a lot more time, money, and oversight needs to go into software development needed to allow people like me to trust that the software functions properly. If it can’t, I will have to seek other competing products that don’t have these issues.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
plattners
Nov 12, 2007 6:07pm PDT
plattners

I am having the same problem! The changes I make to the formatting of pictures on a page are not saved. For mulriple photo-layouts, it takes a lot  of time to get things to look just right, and then if I page over to another page and then go back, all of my formatting is lost! Someone please help.

Posted by
DrRick
Nov 19, 2007 4:27am PDT
DrRick

Me too. It is infuriating me. The minute I leave a page and go back, everything has gone back to where it was before I made changes. I’m ready to give up on BookSmart altogether. What a joke.

Posted by
aleppert
Nov 19, 2007 3:22pm PDT
aleppert

Hmmm, I just noticed the same thing. I worked on this project two days ago and when I opened it today, it had not recorded any of the changes from the last day.

I am using 1.9.2 on an iMac intel 2.4Ghz with OS 10.4.11

Posted by
nweber
Nov 19, 2007 9:26pm PDT
nweber

I am having similar problems—-when I enter text when editing, the cursor moves at the speed of the infamous "Tortoise."  Also, I cannot get the paragraph indention key to function.  These are basic functions of any word processing program.  I, too, am getting very frustrated with Blurb!  I pasted 150 pages of my work from Microsoft Word into Blurb and that operation did okay.  Any help available from Blurb?

Posted by
jayleo
Nov 22, 2007 6:27am PDT
jayleo

Hi,

If you are working in BookSmart 1.9.2 and are still experiencing problems, please fill out a Technical Support form and someone will get back to you within one business day.

– Kathy 

Posted by
kathybad
Nov 26, 2007 12:01pm PDT
kathybad