BookSmart

BookSmart 1.9.2 is now available

Thanks to feedback we’ve received here in the Forums, we’ve built a new patch release of BookSmart, and it’s now available. BookSmart 1.9.2 has all the bells and whistles of 1.9.1, plus the following enhancements:

• Increased stability for local printing (i.e., printing a local copy of a book on your own printer)
  • Enhanced support for WordPress.com, Blogger, and LiveJournal
  • Other enhancements and fixes to overall application stability 

Please post any thoughts and feedback you have about BookSmart 1.9.2 in this thread. And, as always, if anyone experiences technical problems, please contact Technical Support immediately.

Download BookSmart 1.9.2

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
The Blurberati
Nov 15, 2007 3:24pm PDT
The Blurberati

Hi, I’ve been trying to download Booksmart 1.9.2 for the past week. Everytime I click to run and install the download on my computer it say the file is corrupt and I need to download again so I do and it’s the same story everytime. What am I doing wrong or what’s wrong with it??

Jana26

Posted by
Jana26
Nov 15, 2007 4:37pm PDT
Jana26

Jana26,

The one you are talking about, probably a 1.9.1. The 1.9.2 JUST released only hours ago. Perhaps that you want to address this issue specifically with Tech Support team for that matter. Be specific about what kind of problem you are having, system architecture, etc.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Nov 15, 2007 5:02pm PDT
brianbonitz

Yayyy! 1.9.2 fixed the issues I was having with slurping  photos from Blogger.  I am so excited to work on my book.  THANK YOU for fixing this!

Posted by
eddnandee
Nov 16, 2007 10:03am PDT
eddnandee

Sigh, once again The Blurberati neglected to mention the critical need for backing up, before installing any upgrade. Without a backup, if anything at all goes wrong, there is no way back.

Posted by
Michal
Nov 16, 2007 10:17am PDT
Michal

Hi Michal,

Great feedback. Where should we mention backing up your BookSmart files? On the download window … where else? Open to suggestions here.

– Kathy 

Posted by
kathybad
Nov 16, 2007 11:20am PDT
kathybad

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for listening!

Yes, I think placing a link on the download page, would be super! There is an empty box space there, right under the box with the Download Help links. Making that box the Backup Help box would be fabulous!

Best!

Posted by
Michal
Nov 16, 2007 11:43am PDT
Michal

Sigh, once again The Blurberati neglected to mention the critical need for backing up,
> before installing any upgrade. Without a backup, if anything at all goes wrong, there is
> no way back.

Doesn’t that apply to updating ANY program and ANY file? If you don’t make daily backups of your files, not just your Booksmart files but ALL your files, you are asking for trouble. Don’t blame Blurb if that trouble finally arrives…

Posted by
JohanElzenga
Nov 16, 2007 1:35pm PDT
JohanElzenga

Johan, read all the woe is me posts by people who did upgrade and then had problems. Not everyone operates like you and I do, with regular backups being an absolute must. Providing a helpful backup link on the download page can’t hurt anyone. Leaving it out already hurt many, plenty.

Best!

Posted by
Michal
Nov 16, 2007 3:18pm PDT
Michal

Down loaded 1.9.2 as was pleased to find the ability to change font and point size and keep it from page to page as the default. This had been a big annoyance with 1.9.1. Unfortunately,  I did have a program crash the first time I tried it. It happened when I tried to type into the header of a new page . An error message was auto generated and sent by the program. The changes to the book was not saved from that crash. I tried doing the same thing two more times and did not encounter the crashing problem. So I’ve got my fingers crossed.

Posted by
lcarreira
Nov 16, 2007 8:22pm PDT
lcarreira

Sorry I retract my previous posting. Further work on my book showed text did not consistently stay the same from page to page and wanted to default to Georgia 9pt. Trying to change font size was also difficult, having to select a larger than wanted size then down sizing to the font you actually want.  On photo pages having more than one text box required changing font and sized in each box . The apparence of typed text and typing is also lagging by a couple of seconds. This was not the case in 1.9.1. I guess text problems were not corrected in the current software "upgrade".  VERY disappointed.

Posted by
lcarreira
Nov 16, 2007 8:55pm PDT
lcarreira

I agree with MIchal’s comment about the back-up warning.  And while regular back-up of all media files is always a good idea, what JohanElzenga doesn’t understand is that because of the way BookSmart saves changes to project files (“live”) as they are made, as soon as someone simply opens a project in 1.9.1 (or any version with bugs) the project files are instantly and permanently changed with no way of going back.  Most programs people are accustomed to using do not make any permanent changes to the saved files until you save the new version.  BIG difference…  and well worth warning people about.  I too have read many sad tales of people who just opened projects in 1.9.1 and found them irreparably damaged.

I have not yet tried the new version.  Hoping all is well…  Just to be safe, I have backed up all my project files.  Thanks, Michal! 

Posted by
candidstreet
Nov 16, 2007 11:54pm PDT
candidstreet

Well, it would be helpful if I could actually OPEN the new version after downloading it.  A dialog box appears, telling me to "reset my monitor’s bit depth to display 32-bit colour."

After searching round to see what that actually meant, I found that my monitor didn’t have the option of upgrading to 32 bit.  It only allows 24 bit or 16 bit.  So, please BEWARE of this before uploading.  Check your monitor’s bit depth/ A prior notice before downloading the new version would have been helpful, if not downright compulsory. 

I am now left in the sorry situation where I can no longer access the book I have just published in order to make upgrades to it, so I’ve had it with Booksmart – I’m looking for another publisher. 

Carol 

Posted by
asokolow
Nov 23, 2007 12:32pm PDT
asokolow

I just downloaded 1.9.2 to my Mac Pro running Leopard, and I get a message about some files being missing, and it is unable to run.

This is the first version I have ever installed.

Posted by
pmattf
Nov 23, 2007 8:24pm PDT
pmattf

1.9.1 was really buggy but using work-arounds I was able to put my 1st book together. The 1.9.2 came a few hours after I had pretty much finished but I tried it and it works well. really addressed the issues I was having with text and uploading from my hard drive. Thanks! It will be so much less of a PIA on the next one.

I did have a problem downloading that was solved by the alternative link which took me a while to find. Gotta read the whole page I guess.

Posted by
reeflections
Nov 24, 2007 11:43am PDT
reeflections

So, can I just export/backup my book to my desktop, download the new version of booksmart, and then continue to work on my old book with the new version of booksmart.  If I for some reason don’t like it, can I switch back to the old version?  Will there be any printing errors if I still complete my book with the older version?  I am 180 pages in and I don’t want to mess anything up.

Posted by
ryanfitz1604
Dec 4, 2007 4:32pm PDT
ryanfitz1604