BookSmart

Locked Existing book will not open

Working with BookSmart 1.8.1 in OS 10.4.10. All of my books open up with the app except for one. I attempt to open the book and the application freezes. I need to force quit everytime. Is my project gone? Do I need to delete it and start over again? Or, can I delete a preferences file and things will be ok?

Posted by
Reenie
Aug 3, 2007 12:14pm PDT
Reenie

Same thing happened to me with a 7×7 square. Twice.

Heres the adice tech support sent me after three days.

Hi Delete the .setting file found in your User drive>Library>Application Support>BookSmartData. In this BookSmartData folder are your book files. Inside the book’s folder (named long string of numbers) there is a .settings file that you should delete. This will clear a cached settings folder and will not harm your book. You will open to a BookSmart “start window”. Select Open Existing Book and you should see your book on the list.

Please let me know if this does not solve the problem.

And it DID NOT solve the problem. But it’s probably worth a try. Good luck.

Tech help was nice but unable to find problem, even after I sent them the files. It’s a bummer to lose all the time invested but while you’re waiting for help, you may as well redesign your book. it will probably be faster. My issue was determined unresolvable after three weeks. I redesigned in 8×10 and it worked perfectly. Though I was more nervous than I wanted to be before finally finishing the design!

Posted by
BigIggy
Aug 3, 2007 3:07pm PDT
BigIggy

Reenie,

For the future reference, you might want to export/back up your .book (BookSmart file format called .boot), export/back it up to external hard drive, and flash drive. When you work on your book project, you can import your .book file back on BookSmart.

Give it a try and do bit of experiment, you’ll see what I mean.

It serves me very well. Because this technique allows me to work on my laptop while being away from home on trips, and that I can continue to work on my book projects on MacPro at my residence. It works nicely for me. Hope that works nicely for you too.

Does that help, no?

Brian

I believe that technique serve you well and save some trouble and downtime in near future if you run into problem not able to open.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 3, 2007 4:33pm PDT
brianbonitz

Thanks Brian. I finally bit the bullet and just started over. This company could use more technical support, but your advice was brilliant, and now I will back up in the futre.

So cool that your deaf. How can I see your work?

Reenie

Posted by
Reenie
Aug 4, 2007 1:26pm PDT
Reenie

Hi Reenie,

Glad that I could be of an assistance.

I just realized that I made a tiny typo error. When I typed about Blurb BookSmart native file format, I typed it wrong ”.boot”, it should be ”.book”. My apologies!

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 4, 2007 3:24pm PDT
brianbonitz

I am working on 13×11 and just about finished.  I install a new Lacie 526 monitor. When I tried to open my book the whole system was froozen. I have worked through Windows and found the bookSmartData and library.  Tthe images are there but I cannot find what you suggested to delete.  I upgraded my program. This is my first time to try a book with this company. Where is it that you chick delete in the library? I do not want to start over. The program is frozen and I cannot even try to make a new book.  Judy

Posted by
mundy
Aug 4, 2007 4:07pm PDT
mundy

Dear Reenie,

I also lost a project after a while, exactly as you did. It was not a problem, because I have the JPGs on a bunch of CDs I burned for the book, and the text in Word DOC files (one file for chapter).

I think I must backup (export) the book on a CD-RW each time, until the book is finished.

Does anybody has the same problem?

P.-

Posted by
pburraco
Aug 4, 2007 8:09pm PDT
pburraco

I have just lost 4 books somehow… I have just sold my pc laptop and have transferred all my files over to mac.  I backed up the whole booksmart data folder, but when I tried to open it in mac booksmart doesn’t even recognise the .book files as .book files!  Worst of all, booksmart on the laptop doesn’t recognise the original folder either.  Luckily 3 of these books are published, but the fourth I’m going to have to import from the doc files all over again – I’m not even the author, and I had spent weeks formatting the whole book to the author’s requirements.  I just hope the doc files are in tact.  Sigh.

Posted by
catie848
Feb 2, 2010 2:45pm PDT
catie848

Hi Catie,

This thread’s quite old so we’re going to lock it. If you are experiencing a similar problem, it’s best that you contact us here at customer support for assistance.

Regards,

Michael

Posted by
mikewhy
Feb 3, 2010 12:59pm PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff