BookSmart

Locked Cant reopen HELP

My project was going perfectly well all 70 pages of high resolution photos and no problems not even lag.  I decided to make my cover last, in doing so I picked a template that allowed approx 12 thumbnail photos on the cover the program started get mad and slowing up as I began to ass the last 5 photos.  I got to only 2 more needed and it froze up completely walked away and hours later still nothing, upon ending the process in Task Manager I shutdown restarted and went to reopen my project.  The book will not open now and so my 70 pages of work are now untouchable.  If I could just get in there Id be fine if I have to make the cover a simplified cover with a single photo since Im quite sure thats what casued the overload was the cover.  PLEASE tell me there is someway I can do this and my DAYS of work are not totally lost.

Posted by
carries78
Aug 3, 2007 2:25pm PDT
carries78

Someone please help me on this….is there anyway to open it or delete the title page so it will open?  How about exporting can I take my project file to DVD and take it to a more powerful computer?  Is there a way way to export without the ability to open it?

Posted by
carries78
Aug 6, 2007 6:28am PDT
carries78

What happens when you open the Booksmart application? 

Posted by
Kiddawg
Aug 6, 2007 6:46am PDT
Kiddawg

It tells me to pick an album – unfortunately I deleted all the autosaves I only hvae the main project and one older autosave – if I have to I suppose Ill have to start from that one but if I can just access this one long enough to delete the title page thats bogging it or even save it to cd and bring it to another pc that would be great.

Posted by
carries78
Aug 6, 2007 8:54am PDT
carries78

Sorry….I should elaborate – so I pick the album and it freezes as soon as I click open. 

Posted by
carries78
Aug 6, 2007 8:55am PDT
carries78

Sorry to say I am experiencing exactly the same problem.  After loading an 80 page book I tried to tinker with the title page and the program froze.  Now when I click on Open Existing book it freezes every time.  I even deleted everything and started from zero and experienced the same problem a second time.

Posted by
frankLavelle
Aug 6, 2007 6:12pm PDT
frankLavelle

I too am experienceing the dreaded "freeze up" problem.  I have to resort to Task Manager to close the program as well.  Mine happened on a 20-page book.  I contacted Tech Support when I first experienced this a few weeks ago and they have tried to "spitball" the issue, throwing several potential culprits at me hoping one sticks (admittedly, probably all they can do), but none of them worked to solve the problem.   I just tried to keep creating new books and it stopped freezing up, I didn’t do anything different though.   

So last night I started making a 20-page "test run" book, got about 75% done, and now it’s freezing up again.  I don’t know how anyone can take the chance on creating a book with Booksmart when they know this can happen.   I’ve contacted Tech Support and am awaiting their reply…

Posted by
jegardne
Aug 6, 2007 8:01pm PDT
jegardne

Same problem here. Below is my message to Tech Support, and below that is their response (on 8/6/07). Sounds like a new version is coming in the next couple of weeks to address this. One can only hope…

<del>—</del>-<del>—</del>-<del>—</del>-<del>—</del>-<del>—</del>-<del>—</del>-<del>—</del>-<del>—

BookSmart version:
User step-by-step description:
I have a book I previously created that when I select it, it takes an extremely long time to load (over 10 minutes). The book size is 13×11 and I have about 15 photos that I had imported. The resolution of the photos is 300 dpi and they are mostly sized for a maximum of 3900 pixels on the longer side of each. Once the book is finally opened (it appears frozen before that, but I found that if I wait long enough it does load), the poor performance moving from page to page makes the application unusable. In Task Manager it shows that BookSmart is using approximately 50-60% of CPU Utilization, and over 587 megs of memory, The amount of memory installed on my computer is 2 GB, and I have over 42GB of free space on my hard drive.

This happened at least twice with 2 different books, I deleted the first one after having problems and started with a new one. The second than started having the same problems. If I can’t resolve this I need to move on to another book
If I can’t get past this, IO need to move on to another bookmaker, but my preference is to give BLurb a shot. I’m hoping you can help out.

</del>-<del>—</del>-<del>—</del>-<del>—</del>-<del>—</del>—

This sounds like a bug we are working hard to fix in version 1.9 of BookSmart. We are currently testing whether books experiencing this problem will be handled better in our upcoming upgraded software, and so far the results are positive.

I am sorry to not have a more immediate fix for you. After upgrading in a couple weeks, your book project should be much more manageable.

Best regards and thank you for your continued patience.

Posted by
JimK
Aug 8, 2007 3:54pm PDT
JimK

Well now that its been 3 weeks…....still waiting.  What exactly does a "couple of weeks" mean in there timeframe?

Posted by
carries78
Aug 28, 2007 11:00am PDT
carries78

I have had exactly the same problem. first it froze and now i have completely lost the book. So does Blurb have it saved somewhere in their files systems ?

9×9 latitudes and longitudes

Posted by
nbccd
Aug 29, 2007 10:53am PDT
nbccd