BookSmart

Very bad release (3.2.4)

I’ve been making books with BookSmart since 2006 and I’ve been through a lot of versions of the software but this one (3.2.4) is a nightmare.
Inserting pages takes forever, duplicating pages the same. It seems that the software checks for issues for every page inserted. This is useless.
The “fix me” window is annoying, and keeps on popping up even though I don’t care that I have resolution or text issues. I want a preference setting to force BookSmart to ignore issues.
Font seem to have a life of their own and there’s still no way to do a mass-set to solve font inconsistency across the book.

Does Blurb wants us to invest in inDesign or what?

JY.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
JeanYves
Apr 16, 2012 9:56pm PDT
JeanYves

Forgot to mention, I’m using the PC version on Windows 7.

Posted by
JeanYves
Apr 16, 2012 9:57pm PDT
JeanYves

Geeze, I’m on a Mac version and it reads as if I wrote the post! The total lack of text awareness is baffling, using styles helps some but it’s still hit or miss. Trying to move pages is a crapshoot, as the software has a nasty habit of zooming & unzooming as I click around in completely undesired ways. And yes, the "you have issues" that pops up WHILE I’M IN THE MIDDLE OF TYPING is simply beyond annoying, it’s user hostile.

Instead of fast  & lean, Booksmart is getting bloated, and worst part is not only do the new "features" make the software less usable, but most of the new "features" fail to work consistently. 

I use Blurb because it’s the best option for me, but that doesn’t mean it’s very good. There are brilliant parts to the system & there are issues that prompt me to scour Google for a suitable replacement. I spent 40 hours in Booksmart this week, and I feel 1/4 of that time was spent dealing with Booksmart oddities and bugs. 

P.S. What’s with the world’s hardest to read Captcha on a site where you have to register. On every single post. Every time. No joke, it’s taken up to 3-4 attempts to get the text correct many times. 

Posted by
jakerome
Apr 17, 2012 1:04am PDT
jakerome

That’s the power of Java. You’re consistently over bloated cross-platform :)

JY.

Posted by
JeanYves
Apr 17, 2012 8:08pm PDT
JeanYves

Handy Tip: Save a copy of any version of BookSmart that works for you to a safe location on your hard drive before upgrading. That way, you can back out of the upgrade if you encounter big problems.

I assume the Captcha is here because a few months ago these forums were inundated by hundreds of automated SPAM messages. And yes, they are almost impossible to get right on one’s first try. I wonder how many people here have tried to offer help and given up because of this….

Posted by
jshook
Apr 18, 2012 6:14am PDT
jshook

Thanks for the warnings. Bookify remains a disappointing application. But until Blurb provides a way for me to submit a Word document from my Mac, I shan’t be using Blurb.

Posted by
agingjb
Apr 23, 2012 6:01am PDT
agingjb

Sorry, meant Booksmart, not Bookify.

Posted by
agingjb
Apr 23, 2012 6:05am PDT
agingjb

I’ve had trouble with Captcha on other sites as well. The first word always is blurred and unreadable.

Posted by
loricherokee
Apr 23, 2012 7:01am PDT
loricherokee