BookSmart

Text overflow problems

Hi, I am new to booksmart, so I apologize if the question has been raised before.  I looked in the help section and FAQ and did not find a satisfying answer.  I have text in a word document, and I have been copying and pasting into booksmart and then format the text in booksmart.  On some pages the text overflows but seems to hang between two pages, so I will force it onto the next page, but then I get new spaces created and when I try to condense into a paragraph once more, it all moves back to the previous page and tells me I have an overflow problem.  I keep pushing and correcting the text, and booksmart keeps separating my sentences and moving it back into the previous page where it is too large or too much text for the page.  Sometimes my sentences are completely hidden until I move the paragraph down, which creates space at the top of the next page and the problem again of sentences that are divided.  Sigh.  I am very frustrated.  Is there a good reason for this?  Should I be importing from Word rather than copy and pasting?  I feel like I need to start over, but I already put so much work into it.

Thanks.
Astrid

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Haugenas
Apr 28, 2012 7:36am PDT
Haugenas

I have the same problem..No answer from SUPPORT yet

Larry

Posted by
lhemmerich
Apr 30, 2012 7:00am PDT
lhemmerich

I too have text overflow problems. I added additional blank text pages at the end of my chapters thinking this might solve the overflow problem. No such luck. Booksmart frequently crashes. I have tried contacting Customer Support. They do no respond. I have spent too many hours trying to force their problematic software. Clearly Blurb needs to fix the S/W issue an update.

Posted by
douglangley
May 19, 2012 4:34am PDT
douglangley

I have had this same problem – and what’s  worse is that even though I manually save my book every few changes, when I have to "force quit" the application, it reverts back to some point in history that was well before my manual save points.   I just finished my book and spent 30% of the time redoing changes that were lost.  All my issues were related to text overflow – and it was never consistent.  Sometimes it would adjust the text and fix it itself, and other times it just hangs up and I have to force quit.  Very frustrating.  Not sure I’ll use this for my next book. 

Posted by
BSPatrick
Jul 22, 2012 3:51pm PDT
BSPatrick

Place cursor in text box where text is overflowing. Right click. Select "Break flowed text". Once applied, this action cannot be undone.

Posted by
EllVeeEss
Dec 9, 2012 9:17am PDT
EllVeeEss

I’m new to Blurb too. I just finished a 200 page book and I had EXACTLY all the same problems described here. I spent 5 solid days on what really should have been simple text editing with the text moving and skipping and disappearing etc etc. And crashing every 15 minutes! I found myself saving my project every 5 minutes because I got so tired of doing it over again. I’m not exaggerating. It was very frustrating. I was going to contact Blurb for some guidance before I start my next project but after reading these comments I’m wondering if I should just find another program. Does anybody know of any good ones?

Posted by
Stiefler
Dec 14, 2012 10:33am PDT
Stiefler

The program continually crashes when trying to edit text. If the box overflows, it just freezes and shuts down. I have not been able to complete one project yet in 2 years – the latest version was supposed to fix this, but it hasn’t. How hard can this be to fix????

Posted by
johngcoop
Jan 12, 2013 11:14am PDT
johngcoop

I am so disheartened. Getting the same problem. I feel like giving up but I have put hours of work into my book. Seeing johngcoop says not one project has been completed in 2 years makes me feel like giving up. What can we do?

Posted by
Lyndamartin
Jan 20, 2013 4:31am PDT
Lyndamartin

feb 4, 10 months since the 1st post about this problem and still no fix. this is a serious flaw, yet blurb has given no explanation for why it is not fixed.

Posted by
akame
Feb 3, 2013 3:34pm PDT
akame

Hi there,

I am just about to start dropping 440 odd pages of pre-formatted text into Booksmart and it looks like the text flowing function is more bother than it’s worth. Sticking with a regular text box looks like a more productive work flow.

This will be my second book with Blurb but my first book using Booksmart. My first book was created using the Book module in Lightroom 4 and I was very pleased with the results. I need to use Booksmart to get access to the higher page count. Books created with Lightroom cut off at 240 pages.

Posted by
researchman
Mar 3, 2013 11:53am PDT
researchman

Yes…to crashing problems…given 4 different answers and reasons by techs, none worked…..

and, Yes to the overflow problems……but, now the overflow has added a new thing – loss of pages. The absolut.ely vanishing of 10 pages at the end of the text that was overflowing.  I was taking out spaces between sentences and words and trying to get a chapter back together, then crash.  Opened back up and 10 pages had gone.

This the 2nd time for me.  Now, I write in my word processing program and then paste to booksmart.  It has cost me so much time, agravation and waiting for support that does not work.

It is NOTa pleasure to use it anymore.

Also, any one notice that some of the text layouts are not available anymore?  I have one book with 3 medium photos across and a good amount og text space, a great balanced page.  Now, in new book, that layout is not available.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Donna

Hey, another thought…anyone know or have seen Blurb bookstore advertised anywhere!  And the website codes have not worked since the shareafilliate stuff started.  And noone at that blurb project answers either…..

Posted by
missdonnad
Mar 3, 2013 3:00pm PDT
missdonnad

I have that problem too and others. I can’t order a book project cause a “technical glitch” and BookSmart Blurb support is like a bad joke. They told me first the “technical glitch” could be cause the cookies. Or tbe browser. Or use of japanese characters. Or for not use the most recent BookSmart version.
I’ve checked the cookies, downloaded Firefox as they told ke, removed the short japanese texts and downloaded the most recent BookSmart version and nothing of that works.
Just one thing changed: The advice warning text before said “technical glitch” and now it’s “error”.
This is the end of my use of Blurb, it doesn’t work for me.

Posted by
joaquinchc
Jun 22, 2013 2:47am PDT
joaquinchc

Exactly the same problems in dec 2013 with latest software.
reflow seems about 95% functional.
imported from Word… and let’s face it you wouldn’t want to create directly in booksmart.
Every other page there would be a problem
I often had to over-type to get it to “self fix”.
Also crashed every 20 minutes or so.
Still I persevered and produced a book (Trade b+w 80pages 20-30 illustrations). Will be getting my copies in about 2 weeks. Will be contacting blurb if it’s not the same layout as what I uploaded.
Win7x64 / 4GB RAM Q8200

Posted by
rddyer
Jan 4, 2014 8:54am PDT
rddyer

I have the same problem and have been unable to get Blurb support. Time to reconsider POD companies.

Posted by
douglangley
May 14, 2014 5:17am PDT
douglangley