BookSmart

Can I download a book I uploaded to Blurb back to Booksmart?

I asked Support this question several times but they haven’t bothered to reply.

I prepared a book and uploaded a first draft to Blurb to see what it looked like. Bought a single copy and started on revisions. Through some insane glitch in their software it blew up to 792 pages and the best advice I got from Support was (well, try to delete the pages one at a time).

I gave up and deleted the book (after saving the text). Now before I start from scratch, I’m wondering if it’s possible to download that Blurb copy back to my compter as a starting point for the new version. Anyone with experience on this?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
lreed7649
Jul 30, 2012 5:58pm PDT
lreed7649

Disclaimer: This is SPECULATION

No, or, rather, I doubt it. I suspect that the version of book that lives on blurb.com’s servers is not the same file as the book you worked on in BookSmart on your local machine. You may recall that when you uploaded your book, there was a step where it said it was “processing” the photos (although it didn’t say what it was doing.) After that, the book was actually uploaded. So something happened that changed the book file somehow. This suggests to me that the file is not the same, and so wouldn’t open in BookSmart if you could download it somehow.

Also, I have never seen anyone in this help forum report that they just downloaded the file and were back in business working on their book that was no longer on their local machine. Nor has this ever been given as advice to anyone as a way of recovering a lost book.

All of which strongly suggests to me that you will have to start over. Sorry. I wish I had better news. I hope someone jumps into this and says “Yes you can! Here’s how….” but I doubt it will happen.

Do you have a utility that tries to recover deleted files? Maybe you can get back at least the file with all the extra page. That might be easier than starting from scratch.

Posted by
jshook
Jul 31, 2012 6:10am PDT
jshook

Thanks, I suspect you’re right. Everything you say makes sense.

No, starting over would be less hassle, even if I could recover it. I had started deleting photos 1 at a time and in about 6 hours I got through 100 pages (i.e., about 1/7th of the job). The whole file was completely fragile, bombing out the software about every 5 deletions. I suspect even if I had persisted and deleted everything, the file would still have been glitchy and crash-prone. No, my two options definitely were a) start the book over, or b) find a new vendor. So far, I’m (slightly) committed to sticking with Blurb, but they’ve had an awful bad month with me. I saved the text, and I can usually assemble photos pretty quickly.

Posted by
lreed7649
Jul 31, 2012 10:20am PDT
lreed7649