BookSmart

Text handling in BookSmart

Is Blurb planning on adding any increased text-handling capacity to BookSmart at any time in the future? As I’m a writer more than I am an artist (and I’m certainly not a  photographer – my snaps come out like… well, snaps), and I’d like to try and self-publish some of my work, but as it is at the moment I’m a  little leery of how BookSmart handles text. For instance, the fact you can’t justify text, and there’s some pretty huge margins (in my opinion, at least) on some of the text-only pages. 

If the answer is "no", I’ll still work with what is provided – BookSmart is wonderful for those people like me with no desktop-publishing/PDF-making experience – it’d just be nice to be something I can plan for in the future. :)  

(Sidenote: Before anyone mentions producing custom pages in PhotoShop to get around problems with text-handling  – my document is already 110 pages in Word alone, running close to 80,000 words, and it’s not quite finished. You can imagine what finding a typo or realising I’ve missed a paragraph on page7 would do to my sanity. ;) )

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Keaalu
Nov 26, 2007 12:38pm PDT
Keaalu

Normally I would suggest using InDesign, as you simply import your word doc and tweak from there. However, since BookSmart does not handle pdfs, do NOT do it this way. Exporting a jpg from InDesign results in terrible quality. Sorry this isn’t an answer, but hope it saves a headache if anyone suggests this way. Good luck!

Posted by
piktor1
Jan 2, 2008 1:58pm PDT
piktor1

I just printed my first book and am very pleased with the results except for the look of the text which I was not able to justify either. The whole look of the book would have been cleaner and more professional if I would have been able to justify text.

As for spell checking, I was concerned about it not being obvious when I first began to use the application, but then I found the spelling checker once I went into preview mode.

In general, I rate the booksmart app with an A, but with more text handling functionality would be an A++.

Posted by
ttluigi
Jan 5, 2008 10:10pm PDT
ttluigi