BookSmart

Locked BookSmart 3.4 released

Hey Blurbarians,

Just in time for the holidays we’ve released BookSmart 3.4.  This release includes the usual bug fixes and tweaks, but most importantly an update to the Planner feature. You can now create your custom weekly planners through December 2014. Check out the latest version of BookSmart and let us know what you think.

- Padraic

Posted by
_padraic
Oct 25, 2012 10:11am PDT
_padraic Icon_staff

upgraded today and now my two week work effort is jacked. I even tried to import my project but no luck

Posted by
nielsenp
Nov 1, 2012 9:18pm PDT
nielsenp

Good to get the 2013 planner template in 3.4 – but I can’t edit any of the diary pages, even after unlocking spreads. ‘Edit Layout’ is greyed out. I could edit spreads on last year’s planner template. Is this locked in Booksmart 3.4.2? if so, if I exported my partly-finished project, and re-installed an earlier version of Booksmart, could I import this year’s planner into that and get more editing options?
I’m using Booksmart 3.4.2.34756, downloaded 1st November 2012 with Windows 7 Home Premium, service pack 1.
I’d be grateful for any help. Thanks, Hugh Miller

Posted by
hughmillerUK
Nov 2, 2012 5:49am PDT
hughmillerUK

I have done the same, upgraded to the latest version, only to discover that I cannot ‘Export’ my Book Project. The software simply hangs after chosing this option and does nothing. I’ve put in a request to support for help but have not yet received a reply.
Can I uninstall this version and re-install 3.2 and still have access to my last project? It’s a 34 page photo book that I have spent untold hours working on.

Posted by
maxaryaman20
Nov 4, 2012 12:08pm PDT
maxaryaman20

Why cant I edit the month names any more in the weekly planner? I’d like to make a planner for 2013 in Icelandic, but month’s and week names can’t be edited?
I do not want to make the planner in english.
Please comment.
Can you give me any tips?

Posted by
ingipe
Nov 4, 2012 6:12pm PDT
ingipe

Thanks all for the initial feedback.

@nielsenp- Please contact support to see what the problem is. All previous projects should open just fine.

@hughmillerUK and ingipe-The "Edit Layout" option has always been disabled for planner layouts. You can still edit the day of the week and header like any other text layout (by clicking on that container). However, the changing of the text within these containers has been disabled due to core functionality changes in the code for the custom date selection (and to improve stability).

@maxaryaman20- Book projects should export just fine so you’ll want to follow up with your support rep to continue troubleshooting.

Posted by
csm
Nov 5, 2012 4:03pm PDT
csm Icon_staff

Thanks for the feedback, csm, but it’s not accurate. I did some planners last year and was able to edit layouts to put and edit image boxes on the week pages. Here’s an example: http://www.blurb.co.uk/bookstore/detail/2721560
Although I’m very happy with Blurb generally, without the opportunity to add extra images, I’m unlikely to use Blurb for my planners this year.

Posted by
hughmillerUK
Nov 8, 2012 12:12am PDT
hughmillerUK

Hi hughmillerUK- There was a release of BookSmart that incorrectly allowed a user to right-click and edit a layout, which was fixed on later releases. We’ll likely add additional features next year for planners so stay tuned.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Nov 8, 2012 11:54am PDT
csm Icon_staff

I’ve noticed after installing the new software that once I x out of it and try to load it again it simply does not load, is anybody else experiencing this?

Posted by
DomCav95
Nov 11, 2012 3:41pm PDT
DomCav95

hi,

I’m also experiencing problems when opening BookSmart now after upgrading. I made a book in October and was recommended to export my existing books in case something happened during the upgrade… It didn’t fortunately. But now, approx 3-4 weeks after opening it the last time everything was gone - all my books. And the book that I haven’t finished yet too. :(

So I uploaded all the photos again, started a new book and worked a bit on it (saved it – just to make sure) and closed BookSmart. Now I can’t even open BookSmart… What’s happening??
I wish I hadn’t upgraded…never had these problems before.

If anyone knows what to do I’d be very grateful.

Posted by
thoren44
Nov 17, 2012 9:34am PDT
thoren44

Hm, just realized you had a new version available, so I’ve upgraded once more…hopefully it works better now…

Posted by
thoren44
Nov 17, 2012 9:46am PDT
thoren44

Hi

I downloaded the latest version of Booksmart yesterday and for some reason have repeated problems with opening the program and need to go to the task manager to close down the program and then re-open. This is a nuisance.  I have used Booksmart  frequently for several years and have never encountered this problem before.  I’m wondering if others are encountering this problem and if there is something I can do to correct this.

Eleanor

Posted by
esuderman
Nov 20, 2012 2:44pm PDT
esuderman

Hi,

I have installed the new version and now de older Custom Layouts are not reconigzed … but the CustomLayout file is inthe Booksmart directory …. only the default custom layout is avalilable. Any more with this problem ??

Posted by
JuanZas
Nov 29, 2012 7:32am PDT
JuanZas

Hi,

I’m having similar problems to JuanZas. I upgraded to the newest version of BS and began a Weekly Planner project. Everything is great except certain planner layouts are unavailable.

If I go to the top left of my screen and look in “choose page layout”, under “planner layouts” the top three options are unavailable. It is therefore impossible for me to personalise the planner because I cannot get it to go past February 2013.

Any solutions?

Posted by
TeamJB
Dec 3, 2012 8:56am PDT
TeamJB

Hi TeamJB,

You choose the date range of your book at the beginning within the New Book wizard. So to go beyond February you will need to create a new book and choose the appropriate date range.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Dec 3, 2012 11:37am PDT
csm Icon_staff