BookSmart

Locked New Magazine format

I just installed the most recent version of Booksmart. But the new magazine layout option is not present. When I click on magazines under “make books and more” on the website it says something about a plug in for indesign. Does that mean I don’t have the option to make a magazine unless I spend hundred of dollars on Adobe’s product?

Why can’t BS handle this layout size? 8×10 is too small. I need magazine size.

Posted by
glennaa11
Nov 8, 2012 1:02pm PDT
glennaa11

I agree. After receiving an email form Blurb telling me about the two new layouts, i spent two hours downloading the latest BookSmart 3.4.2 to two computers, one running 10.6 Snow Leopard and the other 10.7 Lion. What I got for my effort was that the two books I was working on in BookSmart disappeared (fortunately they were backed up). When I opened the new program on either machine, there were no options for magazines or brochures. I have used inDesign, but dropped it because Adobe charges a ridiculous amount for minor upgrades. I don’t want to believe that Blurb is going to limit the magazine and brochure formats to those using inDesign, but one never knows.

Posted by
jaynorman
Nov 14, 2012 3:34pm PDT
jaynorman

I was wondering the same thing. While i do have InDesign, I was hoping to be able to make my magazine using templates and whatnot in BookSmart, because it would be quicker for me to test out and see if I wanted to use it for a yearbook-style magazine toward the end of the school year. But alas. I hope the magazine format shows up in BookSmart.

Posted by
MelodyReveri
Nov 21, 2012 1:53pm PDT
MelodyReveri

Just did a chat with customer service and asked about it. Here’s the answer I got:
MelodyReveri: Is using the Adobe InDesign plug-in the only way I am able to make a Magazine? Or will there be an option in BookSmart?
Modibo D: We hope to have this option availabe in BookSmart in the future.
Modibo D: Currently you can only use Adobe InDesign.
Ashley: Do you know roughly in what time frame? Within a month? A few months? A year?
Modibo D: Probably a year.

<hr />

A whole year?! Man. I feel like they should have waited to announce it until they were ready with the BookSmart option. I’m disappointed.

Posted by
MelodyReveri
Nov 21, 2012 2:06pm PDT
MelodyReveri

This is extrmely dissapointing.  I was very excited and already had started designing my pages in PS for a magazine layout.  This is a clear departure from a normally very good product offering.

Posted by
ricdphotocom
Nov 27, 2012 7:08pm PDT
ricdphotocom

Very dissapointed about the magazine availability. We do not use InDesign. This layout option should be readily available in Booksmart as drag and drop like all of the other products. I’m sure this option will be a hit for Blurb when they can actually make this a reality. Very dissapointed that this is not ready for prime time.

Posted by
RonR
Dec 6, 2012 9:35am PDT
RonR

That’s Blurb for ya. Great in some areas, bewilderingly lacking in others.

I was about to ask what the differences were between the new "magazine" format and a softcover book. Well, I guess I got one answer — the tie to InDesign. It’s a ridiculous way to go about launching a new format (only making it available to those using a $700 third-party application).

I would love to know what the board/CEO or whoever runs this circus is thinking. They have SO much potential but seem to be incredibly out of touch with some of the bigger needs of their market.

Posted by
HoltWebb
Dec 30, 2012 12:35pm PDT
HoltWebb

Its now march 2013, does anyone know if the magazine layout will be coming to booksmart?

Posted by
gregm1676
Mar 1, 2013 7:52pm PDT
gregm1676

Hi gregm1676,

This format is not going to be included in BookSmart at this time. It continues to be offered only within the InDesign plug-in and our PDF to Book uploader.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Mar 1, 2013 9:47pm PDT
csm Icon_staff