BookSmart

Can I change the page layout of an entire book without losing pictures or text?

I’m about 90% through a 202 page book and have decided that I don’t like the page format which consists of two landscape formatted image boxes with a text box below each describing the image.  Is it possible to change the size and placement of those boxes throughout the book without losing my existing pictures and text?  I’m thinking probably not, but I still need to ask the question.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
frankhunt
Dec 10, 2012 3:25pm PDT
frankhunt

Create a custom template with your new design by selecting one of your pages and editing it (Edit > Edit Layout.). Apply it, save and name it. It should appear in the “My Templates” section of page templates. Then click on one of your pages that you want to change, and then on the template icon. The page should take on the layout of the new template. Repeat for all the pages.

In general it’s a good idea to have a left and a right version of a page design. The left version will be moved a bit to the left to account for the “gutter” in the middle of the book so image and/or text doesn’t get too close. The right version will shit everything a bit to the right.

If you have the same number of image and text containers in your template as in your original page, everything should just move into the new template. If you have made a radical change in the size of the image container by making it much larger in the template, you may get a warning that the image is too low in resolution. If so you will have to resize the image so that it’s 300 dpi in the new container.

Posted by
jshook
Dec 11, 2012 8:05am PDT
jshook

Shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift shift

Posted by
jshook
Dec 11, 2012 8:07am PDT
jshook

Yeah, that’s nice – if you only have a few pages.  The book is currently sitting at 208 pages.  I was hoping for some kind of global reformat option.  I may have to get a glass (or three) of wine and go through each page as you suggested.  Or then, there’s the Do Nothing option . . .

Posted by
frankhunt
Dec 13, 2012 7:11am PDT
frankhunt