BookSmart

BookSmart's making my white backgrounds look slightly grey

Hey everyone – is anyone else experiencing this?

I’ve saved my files as sRGB in Photoshop on my Mac and made absolutely sure their backgrounds’ are all clean and pure white (according to the color picker – #ffffff; not by just using my eyes). When I drop them into BookSmart, however, it bestows a not-so-desireable slight grey tint to the background.

Am I doing something wrong here? It’s going to be a total distraction if my book prints this way.

Any help or ideas would be mucho appreciated!

Thanks.   Megan 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
redmeg8
Aug 5, 2007 9:14pm PDT
redmeg8

Hi Megan.   That is odd.   I just did a test in Booksmart, loading a pure white sRGB file on the page, and no such thing happened.   I think though, if you have confirmed there is no color information in your white, you can expect your whites to print as white as the paper stock.   Perhaps go back to the original file you uploaded into Booksmart and make sure that the R,G, and B are each at 255, but it sounds like you already did that…

Posted by
Kiddawg
Aug 6, 2007 6:44am PDT
Kiddawg

Yeah, I did that… hmm… well, I’m about to order my review copies, so, we’ll see what they look like when I get ‘em. Thanks, though.

Posted by
redmeg8
Aug 6, 2007 12:53pm PDT
redmeg8

I have the same problem, all three are set to 255 and yet when i preview my book, the image background seems off slightly compared to the digital paper space next to it. hmmm

Posted by
darkartjames
Aug 6, 2007 6:29pm PDT
darkartjames

I had this happen on the large book dust jacket. A very slight but visible gray tone.

Posted by
Siggi
Aug 8, 2007 9:03am PDT
Siggi

Update: I received my books with no visible grey tone in the background. Must just be the settings on my computer/the program. Hooray for no grey!

Posted by
redmeg8
Aug 18, 2007 3:38pm PDT
redmeg8

Hi Megan,

Are you importing pngs? Perhaps they have changed the requirements since I uploaded my book back in March  but png was the required file format at that time.

Posted by
wendyfarrow
Aug 19, 2007 10:52am PDT
wendyfarrow

Hi Wendy – Didn’t see that requirement anywhere, no… and, since nothing ended up being grey w/ my high res jpgs, I’m ok with continuing to use them. thanks, Though.

PS> Just found this info in the FAQ: "Make sure your images are JPG or PNG format."

Posted by
redmeg8
Aug 19, 2007 11:51am PDT
redmeg8

yes, jpgs are good too. I just thought you might have been trying to import psds or tiffs but then the program probably doesn’t see them in the import process

glad you’re happy with your results

Posted by
wendyfarrow
Aug 20, 2007 3:18pm PDT
wendyfarrow