BookSmart

java workaround???

I’ve been using Booksmart for some time now – I have 23 books still in bookstore and I was trying to start another one today and see that I can’t because I’ve removed java from all of my macs. Most experts hold that this is the sensible thing to do with java.

So NOW what do I do? If I figure out how to make the book with Lightroom, will that get me around the java problem?

What are other mac users doing – I think apple now blocks any java but the latest and sometimes even that<cite>? It looks like booksmart requires java 6 which I’m sure I read was a huge problem?</cite>?

What do do? Or where else to get a similar book printed?

Thanks,

Tom

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
tomoc
Mar 26, 2013 2:00pm PDT
tomoc

Of no help whatsoever to you, for which I apologise, but (as a Windows user) I’d appreciate an understanding of why you believe Java, in particular Java 6, is such a huge problem?

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 26, 2013 2:46pm PDT
tfrankland

Hi Tony-

Apparently there have been a number of serious java hacks over the last 3-6 months. During that time Apple actually blocked java on all apple computers for several days at a time. Most of the mac bloggers have suggested removing it entirely, which I did about a month ago. This is the first thing other than a few embedded videos on web pages that I have not been able to work with.

There is a new java version that is “approved” but I was not going to load it just yet as the last 3 versions didn’t go more than a short while until they were exploited.

What about LightRoom? The way I make my books is to make all of the pages in Photoshop as bull bleed book pages and then just scoop them into Booksmart – can’t I do that in LR? Is there anything that LR will NOT do to create a book (cover or flaps?)

Thanks

Tom

Posted by
tomoc
Mar 26, 2013 10:26pm PDT
tomoc

Tony – here is the latest post on the Oracle Web site:

The latest release will allow Java to be run on Mac OS X. Oracle Java version 7u11 and below have been disabled by Apple on OS X. Updating to the latest release will allow secure Java to run on Mac.

I guess, if worse comes to worst, I can load this, reinstall booksmart and upload the book and then uninstall java again, but not a nice scenario long term though.

Posted by
tomoc
Mar 26, 2013 10:28pm PDT
tomoc

Tony – I just installed the new version of java 7 from oracle and it will not run booksmart…

What should I do??? I’m willing to install stuff and uninstall it to upload a book :-)

Thanks

Tom

Posted by
tomoc
Mar 26, 2013 10:49pm PDT
tomoc

Thanks for the feedback on Java Tom,  being a Windows user I had not spotted the issues that Apple and others found. I’ll now do some digging on any issues with Java on Windows.á

I can’t help you with your other issues. With respect to the BookSmart problem I’d recommend getting in touch with Blurb support staff (via the How To…..Customer Support menu at the top of this page). Although I am a Lightroom user I have not used it to create any books, I’ve just had a play to see what it was like. I still use BookSmart, sometimes  like you, creating full-bleed pages in Photoshop when I’m creating a page design that is not possible with BookSmart.

Sorry I’m off no help Tom. Hopefully another Lighytroom user will jump in at this point and offer you some advice.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 27, 2013 6:24am PDT
tfrankland

Tom.

I am also experiencing the same issue. I’ll be following this feed for any updates. 

Posted by
P_21
Mar 29, 2013 9:01pm PDT
P_21

I get Java on the Mac just my using the Mac’s own “Software Update” item in preferences. The problem with Java is for Java applets that run in browsers. Turn that off in your browser. Then use Software Update to get the latest Java from Apple.

Posted by
jshook
Mar 30, 2013 7:49am PDT
jshook