BookSmart

Image name and date taken are not preserved from EXIF of photo

I am working with photos retrieved from SmugMug.

I pulled in a subcategory, which contained 5 galleries (or albums). I can look at all of the photos at once, or I can look at them by album. That’s good. But – I can’t sort them in any way that is useful to me. 

BookSmart has two sort options that should work for me – date taken, and name. Neither give me anything usable because the values that BookSmart uses for both of those fields are garbage.

I have no idea where the date taken comes from. I’ll attach images that show the date taken for a single image from BookSmart and from SmugMug. The SmugMug-shown date taken of 2007-09-21 is correct. The BookSmart date taken of October 4, 2007 is not.

The name that shows for a photo in BookSmart should be the file name from the EXIF of the photo. Instead it is some generated name that is a combination of SmugMug’s internally generated name (used as a unique identifier, but not really usable by a human brain) and some other characters that I don’t recognize.

As a result, I can’t sort my photos in any usable fashion when building a book. This makes the process take much longer than it should. 

blurb info about photo from SmugMug: 

info about photo from BookSmart, incorrect dates, bad file name

SmugMug EXIF, correct information:

EXIF from smugmug

What are the chances of getting this corrected? And soon?

These problems make building a blurb book very painful.

Thanks.

<del>-</del> Denise 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
deniseG
Dec 2, 2007 7:58am PDT
deniseG

Denise,

Your post has lots of detailed info and questions here, but it’s not something the community at large can answer.  Technical issues like these are best served by filling out a Technical Support form, so someone can work with you on an individual.

That said, there are a lot of variables that might be contributing to what is going on and why your results might differ from someone else’s. For instance, both the camera used and the program used to upload images to SmugMug, can have a lot to do with how BookSmart reads data. Unfortunately, we have no idea if this is a larger issue until we can do more research. Also, keep in mind that BookSmart is compatible with a lot of platforms (PC, Mac, SmugMug, Flickr, blog apps, etc.), and creating the exact same user experience for each one is something we try to do the best we can.

As you noted, you can still build your book, albeit in more of a manual fashion than you hoped for.

Thanks for your patience.

Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Dec 4, 2007 10:56am PDT
kathybad