BookSmart

Footnotes - both page and chapter name

I’d like to put both the page number (in the outer corner) and chapter name (in the center) of the footer. I can put either or and it’s right. If I type the text of the chapter (instead of having it be automatic, since it won’t let me choose two) the left side is correct but on the right the page number ends up in the middle and the title in the outer corner. I know I can do the left and right sides separately but is there a way to choose two?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
lbragg38
Nov 1, 2013 11:59am PDT
lbragg38

I wouldn’t do it this way (I’ll suggest a cleaner solution later) but for completeness’ sake….

When you enter the footer information, you can choose between several options. One is “Use on All Left Pages” and another is “Use on All Right Pages” or words to that effect. So make one version of your footer for left pages and another for the right. I can’t see how you can center the chapter name in the same footer as a page number without using spaces for positioning the chapter title, and that is a very fragile solution.

I suggest a better method is to use something like the set-up I used here:
http://www.jshook.com/BookSmart_Headers.html

I used the header for both the chapter and book title, on for left, and one for right pages. Where a new chapter start I made a new header and told BookSmart to use for the entire chapter.

I used a bottom footer for the page numbers, with left page and right page versions.

This all worked fine.
You don’t have to use both the chapter and book tiles, you can use just the chapter name of course.

I typically expect chapter titles at the top of a page, and page numbers at the bottom, so that’s probably why I set it up this way.

Posted by
jshook
Nov 1, 2013 5:01pm PDT
jshook

thanks!

Posted by
lbragg38
Nov 3, 2013 3:01pm PDT
lbragg38

You’re welcome. I hope you get something that works for you. But if the art of working in BookSmart is the art of the workround.

Posted by
jshook
Nov 5, 2013 8:28am PDT
jshook

workaround

Posted by
jshook
Nov 5, 2013 8:28am PDT
jshook