BookSmart

Printing proof

I have high res JPEG images placed into BookSmart. They are 300ppi from Photoshop CS3 set at the highest compression. When I print form BookSmart either to my laser printer or save as a PDF the images and type are extremely bitmapped. Opening the JPEG files in Photoshop shows them to be just fine. What is happening to make this happen?

Thanks.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
jw34
Dec 6, 2007 9:21pm PDT
jw34

Tha same thing is happening to me. I followed their instructions exactly to get my Indesign file into booksmart. I’ve spent weeks and weeks on this project for a client and now the deadline is almost here.

Posted by
bluemonsoon
Dec 7, 2007 7:16pm PDT
bluemonsoon

What you are seeing in a lower resolution ‘preview mode’ in BookSmart. When you copy images into BookSmart, it will save your original high resolution image. BookSmart will also create a second low resolution image which is what you are seeing. BookSmart does this to speed up the endiing process as moving around such large image files would greatly slow down the editing process.
This is a common concern of customers, but their books always turn fine. When you upload your book to be published, BookSmart will use the high resolution images. So for the best resolution simply use 300 dpi and don’t worry too much about the grainy images you are seeing.

Cheers,
Martin

Posted by
MartinRobert
Dec 8, 2007 3:18am PDT
MartinRobert

Thanks. This makes me feel a little better. The one downside of the low-res is that I can’t check type that is part of a placed image when I print here in the office. Maybe there should be a way to link the high res when doing local proofing?

Posted by
jw34
Dec 9, 2007 10:11am PDT
jw34