BookSmart

Can you get the text to STOP autoflowing? What about a page break?

I have my pages all laid out perfectly, and now I don’t want the text to autoflow. Does anyone know how to turn that off? A simple page break would solve my problem – is there one?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
kwoodworth
Dec 7, 2007 8:39am PDT
kwoodworth

Hello kwoodworth;

Not sure what you mean here… I wasn’t aware that you could autoflow text! I thought the autoflow function was only for importing images into a string of pages…

On a test I just ran, I was unable to get any text to autoflow onto the next available text container…

Sorry I can’t help here…

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Dec 7, 2007 9:24am PDT
lkb-28

Web store with thousands of Ebooks under 38 categories, software, website templates and some web sites at cheap rates. Please check in and purchase one for you as soon as possible. Soon we are going to increase the rates!  http://www.amazingebookocean.com/

Posted by
princely7
Dec 9, 2007 2:54am PDT
princely7

Hi kwoodworth

I’m a Booksmart newbie and have the same problem you described here. As that was four years ago I hope you have found out and would be good enough to let me into the secrtet.

Thanks,

whiterhino

Posted by
whiterhino
Dec 17, 2011 4:31am PDT
whiterhino

In the course of editing I’m trying to insert extra text into my book in various places and the Autotext feature is driving me completely MAAAAAD! It’s taking an inordinate amount of time to do what should be a quick and easy job. To add to the frustration I’m continually getting Text Overflow Warnings as a result. I’m now getting totally fed up and thinking seriously about taking my whole project over to Lulu as I can’t afford the time to do it in Booksmart :=(

Posted by
parapat
Jan 16, 2012 8:28am PDT
parapat

I have been working on a very long book project after taking a long break.  Since downloading the llatest Book Smart version, my experience editing my text work has become a nightmare.  The program freezes constantly and work is not being saved.  That little window that tells you where there are issues with your book is just not working properly.  It is trying to work that window that causes the problems.  It is driving me crazy!  What is going on?

Posted by
sprite1949
Jan 17, 2012 7:55am PDT
sprite1949

OK I’m going to give it one more go, simply because I think Blurb’s product is better (my opinion only).
So I’m going to start a new project and cut and paste a page at a time from my original manuscript. At the end of each chapter I’m going to insert a blank page. Then if I have to add text at a later date it can overflow onto that page, instead of having to push the whole text forward throughout the book. Maybe that’s where the problem lies. We’ll see.

Posted by
parapat
Jan 28, 2012 3:53am PDT
parapat

Well I gave it another try doing what I said above and it’s been far less troublesome. I think the secret is not to be in too much of a hurry. The program froze a couple of times and I lost the last ten minutes or so of editing and had to start again. Then I got into the habit of saving everything manually very frequently – I know Blurb says it’s not necessary, but it’s reassuring to do that.
So now I’ve completed my 92-page book and have printed out a proof copy. Bit disappointed with some of my photos, but that may be due to the inadequacies of my desktop printer. I’m going to get a single copy made so that I can judge the final result from that.

Posted by
parapat
Jan 31, 2012 5:12am PDT
parapat

I have discovered that serious problems arise with text overflow. You can’t create different sections and work on them at different times while completing your project as if they are not connected. I have learned that it is best to have all your write up for a long book with photos finished before getting started on your book. My freezing issues occurred because I was editing one earlier section and it impacted the sections further in the book. My Family History book is now over 200 pages, with time periods in the past 100 years designated as separate sections. As I gathered information from each period I added it to the book. As new information became available I had to edit the sections which started the freezing problem. I was directed to contact customer support by Craig (Staff) in another post which is now a locked topic. I did that. Customer support asked me to send them a zipped file of my book. The upload took over 2 hours. After exhanging several emails, giving clarifications they requested, I did not hear from them. They just dropped my problem without even an email to say sorry we can’t help you on this. Customer support was unable to find a resolution to this problem. I would suggest that in the Help section a warning be given and clearer instructions posted to explain this type of problem, so that others can avoid it. I guess Blurb can’t anticipate all variations that customers might use in creating their books. If they can come up with a way to stop autoflow to keep sections separate, it would be great. I have found out the hard way, how not to create your book. Apologies for such a long post. I hope it will help others avoid this unexpected issue from arising with their work.
Posted by
sprite1949
Feb 7, 2012 8:22am PDT
sprite1949

I’m totally disappointed with the Booksmart program. People keep reporting problems, but nothing ever seems to get done, forum posts don’t get replied to. It’s as if Blurb is saying OK we know it doesn’t work but we don’t know how to fix it. Then they lock the thread to avoid the embarrassment of more complaints.
I’ve just spent a wasted day editing my book and because they say you don’t need to save your changes, I didn’t. Suddenly everything I had done for the past four hours completely disappeared, with no way of recovering it.
Taking my manuscript to a traditional publisher now looks an increasing appealing idea.

Posted by
parapat
Feb 26, 2012 8:32am PDT
parapat