BookSmart

Trying to Print a Proof Page

Having designed my  first book (s) , I decided to print one page, as you suggest,  to see how it might look. All my images are from iPhoto, very easily accessible, and actually I have previously printed them out from within that application  on matte heavyweight paper, and they look perfect.  (I have also used them in Mac books, with excellent results).

The problem: as soon as I clicked FILE/PRINT, I got a window that said PRINTING, and the blue and white barber pole thingy,  which just kept loading and loading and loading-<del>I did not even have a chance to choose a range of pages.  The printer icon did not drop into the dock, nor could I cancel the printing job—all the other  buttons were immobllized</del>-<del>except by Force Quitting Booksmart, which is what I did, since I did NOT want to print all 20 pages, and didn’tknow what to expect. 

Is this  normal? I’m thinking I should just order a review copy of both my books instead of trying to print any proof pages.  I can print anything else in a jiffy.

Is this also going to be the procedure for uploading? How long is that supposed to take? And also</del>-how can I find out how "big" my books are—in MB?   

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
CHTrippe
Dec 9, 2007 8:38am PDT
CHTrippe

I am having the same problem…and onl ine day to publish to get it by Christmas!  I have to say I will NEVER use this program again.  I have spent over 50 hours redoing and redoing.  I can’t even choose my own font anymore…keeps defaulting back.  I would start over with another brand if I had time.  So frustrating…as a result, I don’t think I will ever publish…not without proofing first.

Posted by
martini3
Dec 11, 2007 5:28am PDT
martini3

At least I am not in a hurry to publish—I’m going to wait until after the holiday rush, since I’ve only been using Booksmart now for less than two weeks, although my books are essentially finished.

However, I have not had any problems designing the book-<del>once I got the hang of it. This is a “Beta” program, right</del>-so that means it is essentially being tested? I’m willing to be patient, though, because I love the whole idea of this. There are obviously things that have to be worked out so they work with greater finesse.

Sometimes you do have to keep selecting a font after it returns to default. Seems to me that happens when you jump to another section of the page—I’m not sure. If you are typing all the text into a single box, the font you choose stays selected.

A lot of folks seem to be putting together really big books-<del>-lots of pages and pictures, so that might make the whole process or proofing and uploading more difficult. Different computers, different operating systems, etc. etc. There must be hundreds of variables. I have found the tech support people to be very responsive, though. But good luck with your book</del>-don’t give up yet!

Posted by
CHTrippe
Dec 13, 2007 2:34pm PDT
CHTrippe

Ditto! I am having the same problem trying to proof my work- I get the "Printing" box and work bar and cannot access any controls on my print dialog box. Needless to say nothing spools to the printer.  I am running and iMac with system 10.4.5. I also faced many glitches in the software- program crashes, font trouble. Booksmart has a good intuitive interface but is still plenty buggy which is frustrating. I dread the thought of trying to upload, but since I cannot proof my book I  will just have to chance it with one copy at $55- an expensive proof!

Posted by
telkins
Dec 17, 2007 4:18pm PDT
telkins

I just tried printing a couple of pages but they printed out as thumbnail sized rather than the full page.  Has anyone else had this happen?  Is there a setting I’m missing, or is that how the program works?

Posted by
randihamer
Dec 18, 2007 10:12pm PDT
randihamer

Hi all,

I am sorry to hear of the trouble printing.

First, a successful local print job will result in a proof page that is smaller than your full page will be in your bound-and-finished book.

Second, if printing won’t work, pelase try upgrading to the absolute newest version of BookSmart, which more seamlessless works with your operating system’s native print dialog box.

Finally, if it still won’t print, please let us know by submitting a tech support ticket by filling out the form at 

http://www.blurb.com/help/technical_support

and we will try to get you up and printing.

Best regards and thank you all for your patience with and participation in BookSmart Beta.

Jeremy

Blurb Customer Support 

Posted by
jbates
Dec 27, 2007 6:15pm PDT
jbates

I have found the same problem when I choose Page Setup first to adjust the paper size. If I choose Page Setup first, then Print, then the BookSmart printing dialog comes up on top of the Mac OS X printing dialog. The result is that I can’t ever click OK on the Mac OS X printing dialog, and thus the program waits for me forever.

If I don’t choose Page Setup, and just choose Print, then things work: The BookSmart dialog comes up, then the Mac OS X printing dialog on top. I click OK on the Mac OS X printing dialog, it goes away, and then the BookSmart dialog actually make progress and my pages print.

Posted by
MtnViewMark
Dec 28, 2007 9:07am PDT
MtnViewMark