BookSmart

very, very slow photo load, browsing, and previewing

I love the program, but it is so slow. I am running it on a Mac G4 powerbook that runs video editing software much faster. It took me hours to creat a book that was 70 pages long, because the program operates so slowly.

Is there a setting that allows you to preview the images at a lower resolution just so you can get through the pages? Or, better yet, if the program only referenced the images (creating a smaller preview file), and did not load them at full resolution until publishing, I imagine it would perform much better.

Is anyone else having this issue with the speed of the program?? 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
bradenblake
Dec 12, 2007 2:13pm PDT
bradenblake

seems like a common theme. Bummer on last day for ordering too.

Posted by
rlundstrom
Dec 12, 2007 2:15pm PDT
rlundstrom

Yes, I had the same problem.  All I had left to do was some minor editing (page ornaments, etc.) and it took my hours just to get through this final edit.  I had a large book (90 pages and 320 images), but I probably would not do this over again in Blurb until I am reasonable assured this probem is fixed.

Posted by
Hayman
Dec 12, 2007 10:04pm PDT
Hayman

I too am having a problem with this incredibly slow software.  I did a small book with the earlier version of Booksmart and was hoping the new version would improve things.  I think the software is great, except that it is so painful to use – I am not sure I will continue with blurb.

Posted by
kgoldfeld
Dec 16, 2007 8:38pm PDT
kgoldfeld

VERY SLLLLLOOOOOW program!   Anybody know of a another program that’s reasonable? 

Posted by
pollyhood
Dec 20, 2007 9:26am PDT
pollyhood

Hey all,

Please forgive me if you’ve seen me post this on other threads, but I want to make sure we get to everybody.

I am very sorry to hear of these troubles. So that we can best help you, please submit a tech support incident by filling out the form at

http://www.blurb.com/help/technical_support

and we will respond promptly with some questions and proposed resolutions.

Thank you very much for your patience—we hope to get you back up and Blurbing soon.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Blurb Customer Support

Posted by
jbates
Dec 27, 2007 5:37pm PDT
jbates

I, too, have been ready to pull my hair out because this program runs so slow! I love the idea of Blurb, love so many things about Blurb, but I am thinking twice (three times even) before I attempt another book here—it should be fun, not make my head explode…

Posted by
ajwhit10
Dec 29, 2007 8:06am PDT
ajwhit10

I uninstalled the software and refuse to use it! It would take me weeks for one book.  NOT WORTH IT! GOOD LUCK! I do not have patience for this program! They will have to make it more user friendly and faster!

Posted by
photogirl629
Dec 30, 2007 7:56pm PDT
photogirl629

Have you contacted Customer Support? I use large files and have made big books and the software is quite fast and responsive for me. I think Customer Support would have some tips to make it run smoother for you.

Posted by
drupnow
Dec 30, 2007 8:57pm PDT
drupnow

I’m not sure Customer Support would be much help.  I’m having the R E A L L Y   S L L L O O O W W W issue too.  They had all sorts of suggestions, including upgrading iPhoto, but not a single one worked.  My project has stalled 1/3 of the way through because I just don’t have the patience anymore to spend 90 minutes creating one page.  Customer Supports email communication system is really weird, too, which makes communication even more difficult.

I keep checking back here to see if there’s been a fix yet, but months after 1.9.2 there’s nothing.  I’m giving them a little while longer then sacrificing the hard work I’ve already done to go with someone else.  I don’t want to do that, but at this point I’m not sure I’m going to have much choice if I want to get my book created by 2009.

Posted by
ShannonH
Jan 4, 2008 8:38pm PDT
ShannonH