BookSmart

False error messages when trying to upload

When I try to order my lovingly crafted book, I get an error message telling me that I have ‘clipped text’ on the ‘hardcover’ and that I should look for the Yellow Triangles and then fix the problems.

Fair enough, but I don’t have any yellow triangles and a one word title on the cover which certainly isn’t clipped.  When I click in the error box which promises to show me the probelematic page, Booksmart quits.

Should I risk my own eyes and judgment that there are no errors, or drive myself mad by starting again?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Sarah Franklin

www.eyeshoot.co.uk 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
eyeshoot
Dec 18, 2007 9:23am PDT
eyeshoot

Hi Sarah,

I trust you have uploaded by now. But if anyone else is frustrated by apparently false clipped text warnings, here’s the deal:

Sometimes, spaces get pushed (or, just as frequently, spaces push text) beyond the border of the text box, and so the program thinks text has been cut off. You can eliminate the warning, usually, by clicking inside the text box and then pressing CNTRL+A to highlight all the text and re-typing the passage over the highlighted selection.

Other times, BookSmart anticipates a "descender," such as the bottom piece of a lowercase "y." But if your text has no descenders, the error message will appear false. In that case, the warning can be ignored.

If the warning won’t go away and the page looks good in preview mode (if no text is missing), then you can ignore the warning and upload/order away!

Best regards and Happy Blurbing,

Jeremy 

Posted by
jbates
Dec 28, 2007 5:15pm PDT
jbates

Thanks for this clarification.  We have done 3 books all with clipped text warnings that appear but in printed or preview mode there is nothing wrong!  The book was fine too. Just did our 4th book and we had the same things.  We used "Victorian" font and I don’t think the program likes it because we got several clipped text warnings and we are trusting that since it appears okay in the Preview Mode it will be okay.  Can’t print the cover so we are "trusting" the preview mode.

Posted by
opperajo
Jan 12, 2009 10:39pm PDT
opperajo