BookSmart

Unclear about softcover option for an existing hardcover book

I’ve already uploaded, ordered and recieved a hard cover book. Now I want to add a softcover option, but some things are very unclear to me. I’ve read the FAQ’s and they are not explicit on some things:

Do I open my existing book in Booksmart and create a softcover version there? (Putting the flaps in an extra page, as suggested?)

If so, is that then again uploaded as an entirely new book?

If I have to upload again, do I have to now order one of the softcover versions?

If I upload again, how does Blurb know that this is just an option for the same book? (And does it properly display in the software.)

Is there no way to very simply add the softcover version (with the same cover art) on line without doing through the upload again?

I want a softcover version for sale, but I don’t want to buy one myself – not now, anyway.  Or is it just an "option" for my existing book?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
tkjos
Jan 3, 2008 5:50pm PDT
tkjos

If you are willing to have your softcover book not have the info on the flaps from the hardcover, then you don’t have to do anything. It will be available in both hard and soft in the bookstore if you allow both. (btw- I am assuming you aren’t talking about an 11×13 book, as those aren’t available in softcover). In 7×7 and 8×10 it is an existing option available under your book details in the bookstore. But again, this will be exactly as the hardcover- without anything that is on the flaps.

If you must have the flap info on you softcover books then I’m afraid you’ll have to add those pages, re-upload the book, and buy a copy of it. It will be a new book as far as Blurb is concerned.

Amelia

Posted by
CasaDeWoof
Jan 4, 2008 9:04am PDT
CasaDeWoof

"I am assuming you aren’t talking about an 11×13 book, as those aren’t available in softcover"

problem is, the BookSmart Software allows you to create a 13×11 large landscape project, all the while with the UI displaying: Cover: Softcover .

it even removes the pages representing the dust-jacket flaps.  everything about the HOURS spent on this project led me to beleive that i was going to be able to output & order a softcover version @ 13×11.

no feefback.  no warning.  not even a prompt before it began the 90+ minute upload did the software ping me that a setting was out of scope.  the software allowed me to configure my project with a size of large landscape and a cover of softcover.

this stinks.  independent of why/how this software defect allowed me to complete and upload my project with these illegal settings,  why doesnt Blurb offer the large landscape 13×11 in softcover? 

Posted by
seannarae
Jan 15, 2008 1:36am PDT
seannarae