BookSmart

Locked Editing text is way too slow.

I wrote my text in Word, then cut and pasted it to the book. I pulled most of my hair out trying to get it to warp around the pages as advertised. When I tried to edit my text in the book, I ended up manually removing the rest of my hair. After typing six or seven characters and waiting ten or fifteen seconds, I would finally see some action on the screen. I can’t imagine actually writing the book using this program. Am I alone here?

Posted by
mikemeier215
Jan 10, 2008 1:14pm PDT
mikemeier215

Nope you are not…I am facing the same issue. I have 6-7 books in Blurb in the making, but it is FRUSTRATING when the program works SO SLOW !  I have experienced that closing and re-opening Blurb helps a BIT ! but I do hope that the people from Blub do SOMETHING about it, because it puts you off from working on the very books you love to create !

Posted by
Medini
Jan 11, 2008 1:05pm PDT
Medini

I got all excited talking to the rep from Blurb in Tampa at the PPA Expo, but when I started to use this software SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. I love everything I have read and was going to switch from My Plublisher. O well at least they will be happy

Posted by
jdavid
Jan 14, 2008 5:20pm PDT
jdavid

NO, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! I am bald by now. WTF is going on with this program?! I am running on a pretty damn fast machine but this is AGONIZINGLY SLOW! There are no “preferences” that I can set in Booksmart . . . What gives?!!!

Posted by
FiddlinMom
Jan 15, 2008 1:48pm PDT
FiddlinMom

It blows my mind that Blurb released such buggy software.  It is way to slow to endure.  I wish that someone from the technical staff would respond to these issues.

Posted by
petmonkey
Jan 15, 2008 3:08pm PDT
petmonkey

Discouragingly slow, and the word processor is painfully slow and full of bugs.  I managed to get one book of text (about 6000 words) finished and ordered.  But it was very frustrating because of erratic behavior of the word processor.

Apparently the text typed into the program is processed in BookSmart’s server as it is created.  It would be a lot more efficient if the word processor were downloaded to your hard drive with the program so there wouldn’t be a long delay in getting a response to your input.

I gave up in frustration on another text file I wanted to make into a book.  The word processor is simply too slow and too buggy.   

Posted by
wfhummel
Jan 15, 2008 3:23pm PDT
wfhummel

Apparently the text typed into the program is processed in BookSmart’s server as it is created…

No it isn’t, I use BookSmart on my laptop when it isn’t connected to a network without any problems.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 16, 2008 12:34am PDT
tfrankland

Well, it’s nice to see others in my predicament. Unfortunately of all the programs out there that I have checked out, Booksmart fit my needs best. Anyone know of a similar program that may work better? I essentially wanted to create a single book that incorporated both text and illustrations. At this point (with this project anyway) I have no need to create anything that I plan on selling, so all I needed was a way to create a single, professionally bound book. Thanks fo the input.

Mike

Posted by
mikemeier215
Jan 16, 2008 8:14pm PDT
mikemeier215

Hello all,

I understand the frustration on a slow application! I also was facing a slowdown of the responsiveness of the program, but I just finished a book with 148 ages of which 35 are high-res drawings (full page).

I saw that the slowdown occurred after I designed the coverpages en puled in drawings on these pages. After I removed the illustrations, the progam became responsive again.

Next to that: NEVER (really NEVER) cut and paste from Word!! Better is to cut from Word, paste in Notepad,cut from notepad and then paste in Booksmart. This will remove all the overhead that Word generates and will prevent Booksmart from slowing down. This is not Booksmart-specific. More appliactions have difficulties when out cut from Word and paste direct in the "receiving" application.

After finalising all the pages, I designed the cover-pages and everything went well!

Posted by
giessenborch
Jan 17, 2008 6:06am PDT
giessenborch

Well, I have yet to import any illustrations into my book, and it’s still slow. Although last night I cut and pasted from Word, and it shot right in with little (yet still some) glitches. I can’t wait until my images are ready for importaion to see how this baby will fly.

Mike 

Posted by
mikemeier215
Jan 17, 2008 11:42am PDT
mikemeier215

I am trying out the software for the first time. It seems to hang for about 5 minutes whenever I type in something excessive, like a carriage return or when I am excessively deleting one or two characters of text.

I did paste from Word, and also loaded pictures. This is what the program is supposed to support. I really, really want to use the program to print out my book but so far have wasted about 3 days trying to get a layout built in the software.

I am persistent, so I will let you know if cutting & pasting from notepad without pictures speeds things up. I only have 340 pages, 100 less than the maximum. :(

Posted by
dowdalli
Jan 18, 2008 11:09pm PDT
dowdalli

We need Bruce to come on this forum & give us some tweaks, or better still a beta version of the software that is 100 times faster. :0)

Posted by
dowdalli
Jan 18, 2008 11:10pm PDT
dowdalli

OK, so I put all of my text from Word into notepad, then cut & paste it into the book one chapter at a time. I tweaked all of the text & only added the images right at the end. It was like using a completely different software package. Response times were good & I finally got my book into the system & ordered.

Posted by
dowdalli
Jan 19, 2008 12:47pm PDT
dowdalli

My text is finished, and I am just waiting on my illustrator to complete his work. It’s good to know for future projects I can go through Notepad toget the text in easily. Thanks for the input.

Mike

Posted by
mikemeier215
Jan 20, 2008 12:00am PDT
mikemeier215