BookSmart

Lightning McQueen

My son is obsessed with the Pixar movie "Cars".  Can I make a story using all his small cars and publilsh it?  I want to take pics of the cars in certain situations and then have some sort of plot.  Real basic – bit is is legal?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
cking
Jan 19, 2008 9:18am PDT
cking

The answer to questions like this is always "it depends."

It depends on how you use and distribute material.

It depends on whether you show up on someone’s radar who feels infringed.

It depends on lawyers and judges.

For example, a recent news story circulated about Ford Motors attacking a Mustang club who published a calendar with photos of cars that belonged to the members. Ford prevailed, the club had to "cease and desist." The news story implied that the heart of the issue was the appearance of the Ford logo in the pictures, not the cars themselves. The Ford logo is protected.

Another old story was about Disney attacking a day care center who had painted a mural on the outside of their building that depicted Disney characters. Disney prevailed. Disney characters’ likeness are copyrighted.

If you make one copy of the book for your son, probably no problem. If you sell hundreds or thousands of copies, Pixar may come after you. It’s ironic. If you make a movie and have the actors drinking Budweiser, you can get paid by Budweiser for "product placement" advertising.

Posted by
redcrown
Jan 19, 2008 2:37pm PDT
redcrown

Yeah, this would be very, very low key.  Like one copy.  I guess I was wondering if Blurb would even let me, since they would probably see it and could order me to cease.  Thanks!

Posted by
cking
Jan 19, 2008 5:25pm PDT
cking