BookSmart

TIP: Never cut and paste direct from Word!

Hello All,

I want to give you the following tip: NEVER (really NEVER) cut your text and paste it directly into BookSmart! The reason is that Word generates a lot of overhead "around" the text which slows down BookSmart (and a lot of other applications). The overhead (all types of codes) is invisible when you paste the text, but it is there!

Better is to use the following workaround: Copy the text from Word, then paste it in Notepad (this will remove all the overhead). Then copy the text from Notepad and paste it in BookSmart. After that you can edit the text (font, color, etc.) in BookSmart. It is an extra step, but believe me: It’s worth it!

This is also a tip for the developers of BookSmart: remove all the overhead during the paste command! It is easy to implement and will prevent a lot of frustration with the BookSmart-users…

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
giessenborch
Jan 20, 2008 1:04am PDT
giessenborch

Aha!!!  THANK you so much!!  That answers my problem perfectly, have just posted a reply to Grego’s sad story and it will answer his problem too.  I may just have another go now – hopefully avoid any more pitfalls too, will keep reading this great forum.  Inspiration has rekindled!!  Cheers, Jennie

Posted by
Jennie62
Jan 20, 2008 5:31pm PDT
Jennie62

Could you save the Word Doc as TEXT only- would that remove the "overhead"?

kee smiling

Posted by
pictureme
Jan 20, 2008 8:17pm PDT
pictureme

Having done a copy in Word, BookSmart offers both Paste and Paste Plain Text, I had assumed (always dangerous) that the latter stripped out all the MS Word gubbins, the Word formatting (bold, colour, etc) does not come across with the text.

Using that would remove any overhead and use of notepad.

.......Tony

p.s. The BookSmart Help makes no mention of Paste Plain Text.

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 21, 2008 1:27am PDT
tfrankland

I read this too late and I used copy and paste from Word. My computer slowed down to a crawl as  had 110 pages. I finally deleted that book and created another using Notepad. No problems after doing that.

Thanks!

Posted by
Midus1
Feb 4, 2008 9:10am PDT
Midus1

Will "textedit" on a Mac do the same thing?

Posted by
svskyus
Mar 6, 2008 8:12pm PDT
svskyus

I have an intel iMac. I also have the latest version of Booksmart. It simply will quit every time I try to copy and paste from outside Booksmart, even if I use textedit or notepad, or Pages for that matter. I made a book last year and it copies and pastes just fine (I just checked). The update is a problem for me, I hope the new version comes out soon as I need to get this book out before the end of the month, and the extra typing is massive.
Hugh

Posted by
hughmass
Mar 10, 2008 9:33am PDT
hughmass

Odd, I have done 2 books, and used formatted text from Word, cut and paste and have never had a problem.

Be sure to not use Postscript fonts, Blurd does not like tham at all.

Phil

Posted by
pscala
Apr 7, 2008 10:01am PDT
pscala