BookSmart

Locked importing a backup copy to another computer

Good day!

I am trying to import a backup copy onto another computer so that I can do a draft print for proofreading.  I get the following error. 

Import Error:

This file does ot appear to be exported from BookSmart.

backup leslie redhead_2E-2e_2dthre life of an artist3.book

I’m not sure if this is enough information to assist me but if someone could give me a bit of direction on doing this is would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, Kerry

Posted by
sunbeam623
Jan 23, 2008 10:38am PDT
sunbeam623

Kerry,

I’m puzzled by the filename it gives. If you use File….Backup/Export Book to create your backup it would give you a single file called youbookname.book. Where yourbookname would be, for instance, thelifeofanartist3. I do not know where the backup leslie redhead etc came from.

Can you confirm that you used File…Backup/Export Book and what filename that created for you?

Did you then use File….Import Book? Or did you try and use File…Open Book on your backup file?

I’m struggling to offer any advice from the information so far, but am not sure what else to ask you :-(

..........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 23, 2008 11:04am PDT
tfrankland

Hi Tony!

Thanks for the quick response.  I literally used the File…Backup/Export Book function.  Unfortunately I don’t have access to the computer the book is currently loaded on to verify the name.  I definitely used the Import book icon because this computer does not have any exsiting books on it at all.

Rather than you struggle TOO much, I will go through the process again from scratch later today and verify that the steps I take are valid to what you’ve written above and then get back to you….stay tuned, so to speak! :o) 

Posted by
sunbeam623
Jan 23, 2008 11:33am PDT
sunbeam623

Hi there,

It’s also important that you update BookSmart on the machine you’re importing from. If you export from a more current version of BookSmart and try to import into an older version of the program, it won’t work. So be sure to upgrade BookSmart on that second machine to v1.9.2 and it should work like a charm.

Best regards,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Jan 24, 2008 11:20am PDT
jbates

Thank you Jeremy and Tony!

Sorry for the tardiness in getting back to you both.  I have no idea how I got the long file name the first time but decided to rename my book, do the back up again.  I also verified my version was the same (thank you Jeremy) and then tried the import.  It worked! 

Unfortunately, I have no idea , other than renaming the file, that I did anything different from the first time which is not my favourite way to solve things :o).  

I appreciate your support either way…thank you so much!

Take care and think happy thoughts! (swinging so high you can touch the stars; the smell of fresh ground coffee; a special glance)

Ciao,  
Kerry

Disclaimer: Not responsible for spelling, grammar or anything you don’t like in this email!

Posted by
sunbeam623
Jan 26, 2008 8:37am PDT
sunbeam623

You are welcome Kerry! It gives me a buzz when something I suggest actually helps somebody, though in this case you seem to have solved the problem yourself, even if you don’t know how :-)

Thanks for coming back to Jeremy and I, that is appreciated.

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 26, 2008 12:27pm PDT
tfrankland

I have EXACTLY the same problem – used export from existing computer and import on new computer (both same version of BookSmart) – and get the IMPORT ERROR message.

Posted by
TMM123weg
Jun 15, 2011 8:30am PDT
TMM123weg

Hi TMM123weg,

Try restarting BookSmart and make sure you are selecting the .bookexport file to import and not a .book file. If you continue to have trouble contact support for more help.

Note: Locking post due to age.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Jun 15, 2011 10:44am PDT
csm Icon_staff