BookSmart

Book Photo Brightness

Hi there Blurb staff, I ordered my book which arrived this week and the photos look alot darker in print then they do on any computers I view them on. This is clearly a printer error as opposed to the photographs. It looked perfect in the book maker program on any of my computer screens. Is there any way I can have the book printed again with the correct brightness exposure? If you look at my book you will  see that the brightness is ok on screen. £20 is alot of money to pay for a test book that is not printed the same as on screen. 

If I adjust all the pictures and make them brighter am I guaranteed that the same printing settings will be used so that the brightness is adjusted accordingly?Cheers Mark

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
MarkCaunt
Jan 25, 2008 5:21am PDT
MarkCaunt

Hello Mark;

This is a common complaint!

What Blurb don’t initially tell us clearly up front is that there is a great deal of colour conversion work goes on between our sRGB JPEG images and the finished article which is produced on a commercial CMYK printer…

CMYK printers have a substantially narrower colour band than sRGB and really struggle where the original image contains specifically blues and darker tones in the first place…

A great many of us have learnt this lesson the hard way!

If you run a forum search for "ICC profile" you will see many discussion topics about "soft-proofing" your work for Blurb’s printers…

However, my own feeling is that if Blurb are to successfully attract multitudes of "ordinary" users, then the colour conversion algorithms they employ need to be honed MUCH better than they are today… As far as I can see, the majority of users have no idea at all or no concept of colour-management, and more importantly, don’t want it either!

Anyhow, I suggest that if you feel you have justifiable cause for complaint, you file a Tech Support report… You can access the submission form via the HELP page at the head of this page…

Good luck;

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Jan 25, 2008 6:57am PDT
lkb-28