BookSmart

Fixing a photo after it has been published

I just finished my first book and I’m impressed with the results and I have found it fun and challenging. Good job Blurb.

My question is this: Now that my book is published, I’ve noticed that there is one photo I would like to correct before selling any books. It’s a minor thing, and I should have caught it before downloading it to your server. Should I edit the photo and download the entire book again to your server or is there a way to just download the one page that has been edited?

Also I read some of the blogs and noticed all the problems everyone is having. If everyone would just be patient and be more careful about their photographs etc and maybe try to understand what you are doing and go over your work again and again before submission, then there may not be any issues other than the issues that can be addressed by Blurb. Sometime we get in a hurry and mistakes happen and also come across an issue that we don’t understand. Take the time to ask questions and get answers. The samething happens in stock photography.

Again, thanks for a great job.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Perception8
Feb 1, 2008 9:44am PDT
Perception8

Hello Perception8,

Yes you will have to do the editing in BookSmart and upload the entire project again. You first may want to delete the previous uploaded version of your book from the blurb-server to avoid confusion. You van do this via "My books" and press the delete button ("X").

Next to that: I agree with you on the complaints. I also had a problem with my proof-printed book, but with the help from other people in this forum, I was able to solve the problem I was facing with the drawings in my book.

The quality of the book I received was great and made me think of other projects!

Fred

Posted by
giessenborch
Feb 1, 2008 10:10am PDT
giessenborch

Great! And thank you Fred for your help and information. Good luck on the other projects you have in mind.

Ray

Posted by
Perception8
Feb 1, 2008 2:29pm PDT
Perception8

so if i do a re-edit to my first book, say i want to change a picture, as above, and i upload the entire project agin, do i have to buy another book?

or am i simply replacing the one i have  

Posted by
jefflamb
Feb 6, 2008 11:08pm PDT
jefflamb

I have the same question, but my problem is a misspelled word that needs to be corrected. I hope I don’t ahve to spend $50 to buy a new book just to fix one word.(?)

I totally understand I will have to upload a new book (to make the changes) but do I have to start from scratch and make a new purchase to get the ball rolling? Please someone answer this wtih complete details.

Thanks, Les

Posted by
rhoadester
Feb 7, 2008 2:35am PDT
rhoadester

Yes, every time you upload a new version, you must buy it, even if the is no difference between them.

Posted by
Michal
Feb 7, 2008 6:15am PDT
Michal

guess i won’t do this again.

Posted by
jefflamb
Feb 7, 2008 7:48am PDT
jefflamb

that and i did two books, yesterday, but only one appears on the "just published" list, so where could the other one be?

Posted by
jefflamb
Feb 7, 2008 7:51am PDT
jefflamb

Both of your books are in your profile, accessible by clicking on your name.

Posted by
Michal
Feb 7, 2008 8:03am PDT
Michal

Well I think that is a total silly way to do business. The books sold on Blurb represent the market brand name.  If they make it difficult to correct books, people will decide to leave “mistakes” in their book.  (Referring to images that don’t look right or simple typos.)  Thus, a poor image for the brand.

They should make it easier to make changes; update a copyright notice, change a photo, or correct a spelling mistake…without having to spend more of our own money.

Posted by
rhoadester
Feb 7, 2008 8:17am PDT
rhoadester

so if i want to publish a series of 3 books only one will show as "just published"?

and i agree,w/ rhoadester

in the process,  i can edit, delete, reload, edit and reload  all day long until i buy a "proof" to see if it prints well, i don’t know why i shouldn’t be able to do that w/ a book purchased….and make the changes i need to…

i made a font mistake on a cover, from one line to the next, i hit return, and i get a grey or colored block at the end of the line…why?

and i have no idea how to correct it, w/ out asking questions on a blog,  course i can fix it or do it differently, but at another cost….for another book…

all of this process, is a little fuzzy and blogging to get info is just  , well its ok, but no way to solve, or explain technical issues….blurb is a great service, but still w/out buying a book i really don’t get much clue as to what the product will look like…

a picture of a book open does not show me really how the book is made , if its "bookstore quality" i want to see it, better. I want to know what i am going to get

before spending money….

Posted by
jefflamb
Feb 7, 2008 8:53am PDT
jefflamb