BookSmart

Locked "set your price" Question

Hi gang!  I’m new to this and have just uploaded my first book for a client… my question is this:

in order to "set your own price" you must first purchase a book at the base price, correct? 

could i order a soft cover to enable me to set my own price/proof my work,  and then only offer the hard cover to my clients at a price i set? 

or am i locked into only selling the soft cover at a price of my choosing if that’s the one that i, personally, buy?

thanks for any info!

Posted by
piperann
Aug 13, 2007 11:03am PDT
piperann

Yes…you can order the softcover book and then specify your mark-up for only the hardcover. You are not locked into the format of the book you purchase.

That said, if you are ordering a proof for a client you may want to consider proofing the hardcover format to ensure the book’s jacket is in-line with your expectations.

Posted by
norcaljhawk
Aug 14, 2007 10:13am PDT
norcaljhawk

Is it acceptable to purchase your own "private" copy of a book for a client whom only requests one copy, say, for a wedding, or anniversary, etc. at ‘cost’ and then resell for profit?  Just curious.

Posted by
cool2no
Aug 21, 2007 8:24am PDT
cool2no

Yes….any purchases made by the author of the book will not include the author’s mark-up.

Posted by
norcaljhawk
Aug 21, 2007 9:42am PDT
norcaljhawk

but where do you determine the new price of your book, including mark-up? nowhere does it show up for me, a Mac user….

Posted by
jchaden
Sep 7, 2010 7:20pm PDT
jchaden

Hi there,

I’m sorry to hear about this. Please contact us at customer support for assistance.

As this is an old thread I’m going to lock it so things are up to date.

Regards,
Michael/Blurb Customer Support

Posted by
mikewhy
Sep 8, 2010 8:10am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff