BookSmart

Contributor view book?

I have a close friend who took 1/2 of the pictures for the book, I am about 90% done and would like to allow her access to view the pages in their current layout, I’d like to get her input on a few of the spreads. 

I saw "Invite contributors" on the menu bar, it would seem that I could invite a contributor to view the book in progress there, maybe by inviting her to view via email,  but I can’t figure out how to do that.  If that’s not possible, can I have her log in on her computer using my username and password?  She lives in another state so we are collaborating online and can’t meet in person.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
mshowfer
Feb 12, 2008 9:11pm PDT
mshowfer

Hello mshowerfer;

The "Invite Contributors" option will NOT do what you want…

The only way you can have more than one "viewer" is for you BOTH to download the BookSmart software, and then for you (as the author) to send a copy of the Book file to your friend. You will find the file at;

C:\Documents and Settings\[User_Name]\My Documents\BookSmartData\[Book_Name]

... and you need the ".book" file…

You can do this either by way of an e-mail (if the file is not too big) or by way of a free FTP service such as SendThisFile (click on link to go to the URL)...

You need to "Export" the ".book" file to a holding folder; send the file as above, and then have your friend retrieve the file to a holding folder, and then "Import" the ".book" file to his/her local PC…

Sounds messy; but it’s easy enough to do…

MAKE SURE that IF your friend makes any changes, you reverse the process of sending the file back to you; so you have the up-to-date changes…

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Feb 13, 2008 8:28am PDT
lkb-28

That sounds way too compicated, they should just have a way for collaborator to at least view and comment on the book before its published

Posted by
mshowfer
Feb 13, 2008 11:28am PDT
mshowfer

...they should just have a way for collaborator to at least view and comment on the book before its published…

I agree – but it isn’t going to happen anytime soon, so if you want your friend to view, then you need to go through the hoops…

As I said, it’s not that bad when you think about it…

If you don’t like the FTP / e-mail idea, you can always dump the book to a flash-drive and snail-mail it… (Still going through the "Export" / "Import" routine…

The biggest factor in the current set-up is that all books-in-progress are held on a local PC – not on a central server, so there’s no easy facility to share…

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Feb 13, 2008 11:49am PDT
lkb-28

On the same topic, does this same process apply to Macs? Second question, what is the easiest way to get the book I am currently working on from my IMAC to my apple laptop??

Thanks, DV

Posted by
dverdick
Feb 13, 2008 1:41pm PDT
dverdick

DV,

it also applies to Macs, no files are stored on the Blurb web server whilst you are developing your book.

Second question…......same approach. In BookSmart do a File…..Export. Put the resultant file on a flash drive, networked drive or DVD. Then on your Apple laptop do a File….Import.

..........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Feb 13, 2008 1:52pm PDT
tfrankland

THANK YOU!!  Worked beautifully…dv

Posted by
dverdick
Feb 13, 2008 2:05pm PDT
dverdick