BookSmart

Setting color depth to 16 bit solves slowness

I don’t know if this works for everyone, but setting my monitor’s color depth to 16 bit instead of 32 bit (Configuration Screen -> Display -> Settings) has improved BookSmart’s performace tremendously.

Just thought I’d post this as a seperate topic because so many people seem to be having this problem. Thanks to rlundstrom for the original tip.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
_Eric_
Feb 26, 2008 10:20am PDT
_Eric_

Howdy clever folks,

Nice workaround!  

Please note this should work only after starting up BookSmart. If the bit depth is lowered to 16 before opening BookSmart 1.9.2, the program won’t load (or at least, it shouldn’t). Also, please note that BookSmart technically requires 32-bit color to operate correctly, and lowering the color depth could create some other issues such as images appearing purple or faded out. While any such images will print just fine in your bound-and-finished book, their purplish appearance in BookSmart can be confusing. I’ll talk to our developers, and update this post should I learn of any serious potential downsides to this workaround.

Best regards,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Feb 26, 2008 11:41am PDT
jbates

How do you set color depth on a Mac? 10.5.2, G4.

thanks,

Bruce 

Posted by
svskyus
Mar 2, 2008 10:46pm PDT
svskyus

Just FWI,  I tried this out, and it seems to work well.  Everything is snappy at 16 bit.  Also, if you go back to 32 bit again, the performance is still snappy.

So… 

1. Starting Booksmart

2. Setting color depth to 16bit

3. Setting color depth to 32bit again

...results in Booksmart 1.8 era performance.

As an aside, blurb really needs to pull the 1.92 version of the software.  I have converted a dozen or so people to blurb but have begun telling people to use other providers.  The idea that the performance is just due to older computers or obscure hardware is bogus.  I am running a near top of the line machine with standard hardware and so is nearly everyone else I know that is having slowdowns.

Please fix this or you are going to lose customers FAST!  Someone’s first experience with blurb should not be with the hideous performance of the latest booksmart. 

Posted by
manoamuppet
Mar 2, 2008 11:46pm PDT
manoamuppet

What if I can’t set my monitor to 32 bits?  I only have 16 or 24.   :(

Posted by
CMSURR50
Mar 16, 2008 12:39pm PDT
CMSURR50

Howdy,

Unfortunately, if your graphics card or monitor can’t support 32-bit color, than your system doesn’t meet BookSmart’s requirements (check the BookSmart download page for required specs). I’d recommend upgrading your graphics card to a newer mode, and that should do the trick.

Best regards,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Mar 17, 2008 9:52am PDT
jbates

This sounds promising – I was about ready to call it quits. Can anyone tell me how you change it on a MacBook Pro (Mac OS X 10.5, Leopard)?

Posted by
meegs78
Mar 19, 2008 9:38am PDT
meegs78

Thanks Guys you really helped.

I was just about to give up. I mean i have a high-end video card and a quad core cpu and I could’t do anything.

Posted by
ucorreia
Mar 21, 2008 7:48am PDT
ucorreia

I have the same problem as CMSURR50. I cannot set my monitor to 32 bits. Can you offer any help on how to fix this? i.e. new monitor, video card or soemthing else?

Thanks!

Posted by
adammazo
Mar 24, 2008 4:10pm PDT
adammazo