BookSmart

Gremlins - changes made after saving

Have just done my first book but every time I open the file, two things have changed from when I last saved it.  One (of many) custom headers goes from right justified to left justified and a blank text page (that I never inserted in the first place) keeps adding itself in the same spot.  I change the design back to what I want (re-justify the header and delete the unwanted page) but when I re-open it, the same two probs are back in exactly the same spot.  It’s like it’s taken on a life of its own!  I’m worried the unwanted changes will be uploaded to Blurb after I save the file for the final time and then appear in the printed book.  Does anyone know why it’s happening and if there’s a way I can avoid it?  I want to "lock" it as I leave it but it keeps doing it’s own thing.  Scary!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
thefagans
Mar 2, 2008 11:18pm PDT
thefagans

Hi there,

Please just be sure not to feed your book after midnight…

Okay, let me confirm that you’re not going crazy. Our developers are hard to work rewriting how BookSmart handles text, and hopefully these text shifts and changes will soon be a thing of the past.

That blank page issue is likely a text flow problem. I’m guessing the text of the previous page goes to the end of the text box, which may lead BookSmart to try to "flow" the text to the next page—which it will create if necessary. If this is the case, please try to modify the text on the previous page so it doesn’t quite fill up the text container, allowing some room at the end so BookSmart won’t think it should flow.

If this doesn’t help you, please send tech support a message by filling out the form at

http://www.blurb.com/help/technical_support

Best regards and thank you for your patience,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Mar 3, 2008 11:33am PDT
jbates

I have searched for the proper topic to post in and this seems to be the closest.

My issue is text shift and photo shift. 

If you add single page in the book the pages following will change photos from box to box and in some cases switch text leaving it out of order.

Example 1: If when using a 2 photo page layout with a large and a small size photo box a page is added earlier in the book the photos are transfered  to the other box and a reset of the entire page is necessary.

Example 2:  if  I use the single photo w/ text from the default add a  page drop down list  add another page earlier in the book the text will swap columns. 

The same thing occurs if I move a page that is oriented for one side of the book  (right page) to another side (left page).

My workaround is to not use the problem layouts.

Is a page lock feasible for each page? If there was a feature like this once a page is in the form a user wishes it to be, it shouldn’t change when moved.

Posted by
TheBeanTeam
Mar 20, 2008 10:02am PDT
TheBeanTeam