BookSmart

Hardcover Printing Inconsistencies

I am currently producing a 11"x 13" hardcover book. On the first addition, the cover jacket looked great, but the inside reproductions needed some color corrections, which I corrected.  I then deleted that version and uploaded the corrected version. When I received the new version the reproductions were perfect, but the cover jacket now had a pronounced red color cast. Why? Can I receive credit for the cover? Can you just print covers?

Herb

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
hwe
Mar 31, 2008 11:32am PDT
hwe

in my experience this happen when you use adobeRGB images, images you placed on the cover are in sRGB profile or in adobeRGb colour profile?

Posted by
cashcb
Mar 31, 2008 11:47am PDT
cashcb

Hello Herb,

I’m based in Connecticut and for two years had produced man 10X8 (Landscape) books. They were shipped to me from Springfield, Massachusetts so I assume that is where my regional printer is located. One time, last summer, I took a walk on the wild side and made one 13X11 book. The cover had an awful red color cast as well. I noticed that the larger format book was made in Redmond, Washington. I’ve gone back to using 10×8 books and continue to have great luck. I just wanted you to know you weren’t the only one to have bad luck with quality control on the 13X11 formatting. We’re in a very visual business. Most of us work very hard to put out a quality product (danburnsphotos.com). What confounds me, is how a printer can release a book where the color is obviously off. If a picture in the body of the book was off I can understand a company not being able to go through each book, page-by-page to catch every mistake, but how can they miss a bad cover reproduction?

Dan

Posted by
danburns
Apr 1, 2008 6:04am PDT
danburns