BookSmart

Version 1.9.4 crashes immediately upon starting

Hi,

It’s the weekend and I really wanted to work on a book a friend and I are creating together. I downloaded 1.9.4 to replace the very old 1.7.7 version I had. The installation on my Macbook Pro works fine but when I try to open the software it immediately gives me an error message and needs to close. This is the message I’m getting:

"Uh oh.
Your primary book project can’t be opened and the backup one seems to be corrupted beyond use."

After this I immediately get:
"Apologies
Booksmart encountered a technical glitch and needs to close now…..."

Then Booksmart closes. 

Can anybody help?

Thanks! 

BTW – My friend has given me the .book file created in 1.9.2 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
bettinahein
Apr 12, 2008 4:19pm PDT
bettinahein

Hi bettinahein,

Ack, that’s obviously not good.

The problems sounds like it’s in the file itself, and I urge you to contact customer support so we can try to fix your files. 

Regarding the new software itself, you should be able to start a new book in the new software without this kind of trouble. 

In the meantime, after you write customer support, they’ll try to recover your previous work.

Best regards and thank you for your patience,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Apr 14, 2008 9:53am PDT
jbates

I downloaded the new software and am getting the same message. I have a 42 page book that is ready to go and I’M WORRIED I HAVE LOST IT! i emailed but have had no reply for almost a week now.

Norm Clasen 

Posted by
normclasen
Apr 15, 2008 12:50pm PDT
normclasen

Hi normclasen,

Sorry for the confusion. It looks like you submitted a crash report, which isn’t the same as contacting Customer Support for 1-on-1 assistance. I thank you for filling out the crash report, as that’s important feedback that goes straight to our developers. But please note we ask folks in need of help to contact Customer Support by clicking here on this link and filling out the form. 

If you already did so, perhaps you wrote from an address that’s different from the one associated with your blurb.com account ? I don’t see any tickets from the email address you used to register with Blurb.

Please wite in one more time, as we respond to all new messages we receive within 1 business day.

Best regards and thank you for your patience,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Apr 15, 2008 1:27pm PDT
jbates

Having the same problem, the book I’m working on won’t open, but I can open a new book?

Posted by
samjovic
Apr 18, 2008 10:32am PDT
samjovic

My problem is that after successful installation, there is a dialog box that says the "BS appears to be missing a few files. Please download and reinstall".

I am running Vista Ultimate SP1, Java 6 SP6.

Is there a way to figure out what files are missing?

I filed a support request, filled out the form… 

Posted by
marstein
Apr 19, 2008 10:10am PDT
marstein

Howdy,

I’m glad you write into Customer Support. They’ve got a quick answer for this. If anyone else is receiving the "Missing Files" error, the solution is almost always this simple workaround.

In your user directory (found under C:\users\"your user name here") please create the following two folders:
Documents
Pictures

You should then be able to install BookSmart properly on Vista.

Please let Customer Service know if this doesn’t solve the issue on your computer.

Best regards and thanks for hanging in there,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Apr 21, 2008 9:55am PDT
jbates

Making those two folders solves my problem. Thanks.

It is quite disappointing that the program cannot tell me what files it is missing. Then I could have found the solution myself.

It also seems pretty poor that certain folders are assumed to be there that clearly can be somewhere else. Especially since they are not needed for anything.

Posted by
marstein
Apr 21, 2008 8:47pm PDT
marstein

I’m haveing the same problem but with 1.9.2 my book was about 95% done. I down loaded the new version and it win’t even open. I don’t know what to do.  Should i even start another book? I’m scared to even start another one. This book was to be sent out on friday.

Posted by
steve0227
Apr 23, 2008 4:23pm PDT
steve0227

HI steve0227,

Don’t be scared—your work will be just fine. Please simply contact customer support and they will get you back on track asap.

cheers,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Apr 23, 2008 5:06pm PDT
jbates

If you’re considering upgrading, DON’T!!!! I upgraded to 1.9.5 today (thinking it would resolve problems I encountered with 1.9.4), and now I can’t open my book (which I had hoped to complete and order today in time for Mother’s Day… I’m at wit’s end to say the least). I can open a really old project, but it crashes the minute I try to open my current project. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I cannot even import a backed up version of the book.. when I try, I get the error msg: This file does not appear to be exported from BookSmart. I thought this upgrade couldn’t possibly be worse than the problems I experienced with the 1.9.4 upgrade, but boy was I wrong.

Posted by
knichols1109
Apr 29, 2008 3:36pm PDT
knichols1109

I have all the same problems with 1.9.5 – and sent an email to the customer support (waiting for an answer). Now I realized, that if I am installing in "E:\BookSmart" instead of for instance "E:\BookSmart – Fotobuch [2008.5]" there is no more crash – after building the first book.

Mmmhhh, it’s really slow, but this is another problem I have to care about.

Meerbuscher 

Posted by
Meerbuscher
May 22, 2008 4:49am PDT
Meerbuscher

I have attempted to fix the issue with 1.9.5 by making those two missing folders, but it didn’t work and I am unable to even run the program after a clean install.

Posted by
aronjs
May 29, 2008 7:46am PDT
aronjs

aronjs,  have you contacted Blurb Technical Support?

If you go to the Search FAQs page you will see EMAIL SUPPORT on the right hand sise, under that you will find Technical Support.

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
May 29, 2008 8:14am PDT
tfrankland