BookSmart

1.9.4 is not working correctly on my computer... and they don't care !!

1.9.4 is not a stable version… i can prove it.

After an exchange of several e-mails, blurb was not able to solve my problem. I asked a link to download an older version … And I had a surprising answer: It is not possible ..
Since no answer to my emails … It’s hard to stay polite with such practices…

I just want to know why it’s not possible to download old version like 1.9.2 or 1.9.0..???

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
bitrated
Apr 15, 2008 8:51am PDT
bitrated

Hi bitrated,

I am sorry that you’ve come away with the impression that Blurb doesn’t care. That is never the attitude we would want to project.

On the page to download the new software, we include a recommendation to backup/export your work so that, if you need to go back to an earlier version of the software that you have saved, you can re-import your book.

However, if you haven’t backed up/exported, and you have opened your book in 1.9.4, that same book cannot be re-opened in an earlier version of the software. It’s not backwards compatible, and unfortunately, there’s nothing we can do to alter that.

Our software is free, and so that we can support it effectively, we try to get everyone on the most current version. We don’t roll people back to previous versions. However, folks on the forums are welcome to help by sending you the 1.9.2 installer for instance.

Please note, however, that you’ll need to import a book that you previously exported from 1.9.2 in order to continue working on an existing book in v1.9.2.

If customer support recommended that you upgrade your video/graphics card, for instance, I hope that’s a relatively low-cost solution to meeting the most recent system requirements. We have encountered perhaps 10 folks with this issue, and we do care about your ability to continue working. Our developers must keep pressing forward with improvements, however, since 10 such cases over thousands and thousands of downloads is actually a pretty good success rate. 

I know that is of little consolation to you, and I encourage you to keep in touch with customer support about your case. I believe you’ll find we do care and will continue try to help you get your project back on track.

Best regards and thank you for your patience,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Apr 15, 2008 10:23am PDT
jbates

Ok.. i’m going to find another website to make my book…

Posted by
bitrated
Apr 15, 2008 11:08am PDT
bitrated

Bye, bye!

Posted by
dagree
Apr 15, 2008 5:48pm PDT
dagree

i’m using 1.9.2. and i have the install file backupped on my pc, i can send it to you!

(i gave up using 1.9.3 or 1.9.4) 

Posted by
cashcb
Apr 16, 2008 3:36am PDT
cashcb

Yes by Yousendit. You can send me the link here : laurentduvigneau@hotmail.com

thank you very much for YOUR HELP… 

Posted by
bitrated
Apr 16, 2008 4:50am PDT
bitrated

why my post has been deleted?

i answered bitrated this morning and now the answer is disappeared…. 

Posted by
cashcb
Apr 17, 2008 11:09am PDT
cashcb

Hi cashcb,

This is a sticky subject and I won’t pretend you’ll like my answer. But I want to try to resolve this 1.9.4 vs. 1.9.2 issue as best I can.

You were clever enough to find a live link to 1.9.2 still operating on Blurb.com. However, we have since changed the back-end of our system, as have our printers, and we can no longer distribute that older version. If folks have the old installer and want to share it over YouSendIt, there isn’t much we can do about that. But we can’t have Blurb.com providing the old software, as it is no longer optimal and will fairly soon be unsupported.

I know this drive to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade might be viewed as ruthless, and that’s not  what we’re going for. We simply need to constantly bring all authors up to the newest possible software so that we can support it, and so that it is most compatible with the systems running on our servers and those of our printers.

I  am sorry that we had to delete your post. Censorship is not the goal. We just can’t be the ones providing old editions of BookSmart. Your desire and effort to help Blurbarians is commendable, and I am sorry if you felt us deleting your post failed to recognize that. I personally do indeed appreciate what you’re trying to do.

Best regards,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Apr 17, 2008 11:26am PDT
jbates

Hy jbates,

Don’t worry about that, i didn’t tought for a second about censorship, i tought about a mistake. I posted it only for helping out all the guys (like me) that are having trouble with 1.9.3 and 1.9.4.

I know how is to be a programmer, always in a hurry to cast out new vers. , following a really fast market, testing time never enough and hardware supports evolving really fast.

But think abuot this:

Not all blurbarians (tiped correctly? :P) are following the hardware evolutin so closly, my pc is quite old and i think that a lot of other people has quite old hardware, probably because we look much more to the artistic part of our hobby (taking shots) than to the pc hardware; as you know to postproduce 6-10Mp shots a huge- new pc is not needed (i.e. i use photoshop cs2 and cameraraw 3.7 on a 5 old pc, with 1gb ram and 1,7 mobile pentium….and it works great).

Ok, i’ll get to the point….i think that make vers.1.9.2 unsupported by Your system will be a great error, think about it, since 1.9.3 and 4 comes out a lot of people started having a lot of problems, to be honest those vers. are quite far away to be stable ones…are betas, and you know what i mean.

1.9.2 works great, flawless, fast, reliable, probably is 10 times better than 1.9.4 from this point of view…

From a pure marketing point of view i think that have both newest hardware (1.9.4) and oldest hardware (1.9.2) supported is the best deal in a service like the one you’re carrying on; maybe think about having both versions available on the DL page, the old one with on a side a message like "if you have a pc with low performance but you still want to have the possibility to create your book, share it and sell it, download this version. Minimum req. pentium 1,6Ghz, 1Gb ram, 32Mb video card.

For sure I’ll not upgrade shortly my pc to have booksmart 1.9.4 running, so in my case you are going to lose a customer, and i’m ready to bet that i’m not lonely thinking about this….

A software has to be fully compatible with the current and the old S.O. (nowadays XP and vista), same for the hardware support, don’t you agree?

Mine is just a reflection about this "iussue", take it as a suggestion, as a brainstorming meeting ;-)!

Hoping of being usefull, keep on the goodwork and think about our low performance/high creativity situation.

Have a good weekend!

Posted by
cashcb
Apr 18, 2008 1:17am PDT
cashcb

I’m totally surprised about policy of Blurb… I’m french and I do not speak English well enough to express everything that I think about this attitude.

I agree with cashcb. "A software has to be fully compatible with the current and the old S.O. (nowadays XP and vista), same for the hardware support"

Topic closed!

Posted by
bitrated
Apr 18, 2008 9:00am PDT
bitrated

I don’ recall where I first read or heard about blurb/booksmart but I can tell you it has been within the past month. When I first accessed the website and downloaded the software I thought it was the greatest thing. Before I even started making my first book I mentioned the site to quite a few people because I thought it was so cool. Unlike many others on these forums I am not a graphics or publishing person. I’m simply someone who thought it would be really cool to make a book from my photographs.

Since If first became aware of booksmart however, I personally have had nothing but problems, virtually all of which are the exact same problems I’ve seen others post in these forums, so it’s not just me or my hardware. I now see we’re on version 1.9.5  which is the 2nd or 3rd updated version since I first downloaded my software less than a month ago. I know software occasionally needs to be upgraded but this seems excessive. It’s beginning to seem to me that us users are the guinee pigs for all of these new versions. Shouldn’t more of the bugs and "technical glitches" be worked out before each new version is made available?

Posted by
sdennis112
Apr 21, 2008 5:58pm PDT
sdennis112