BookSmart

How to put in footnotes

Hi,

I hope this isn’t a duplicate, but I can’t find it on the searchs.

-How can I insert footnotes in my book?  When I just cut and past my sub or superscripted text, booksmart crashes on me.  And I can’t find a way to super/sub the text in any of the booksmart menus.

-When I was searching on the forum, it looks like there was a footnote function, but the user had problems with it.  Does anyone know if it was changed or dropped?

thanks,

Patty 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
nipper86
Apr 15, 2008 10:47pm PDT
nipper86

Hi Patty,

Superscript (and subscript) would be a great feature to add and we are looking into that.  We never have offered it, no, but it is possible another author was using page footers to hold footnotes. The number, however, cannot at this point be superscript, as even a copy and paste superscript character (from Word, for instance) unfortunately won’t work at this time.

I hope this is something we can offer you in the future!

Best regards,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Apr 16, 2008 10:37am PDT
jbates

Patty,

I don’t know if this alternative method works good for you, but it is possible. However, it is probably more work for you – if you go this venue of custom full-bleed layout to design your own layout structure. In that approach, you could create your footnote(s) along with content.

I don’t know if you have Adobe app(s) such as InDesign or Photoshop to make this work for you, no?

Posted by
brianbonitz
Apr 16, 2008 11:11am PDT
brianbonitz

Hi, it is now 3 years since the post, and well into the future. Does Blurb now have a superscript function? I can’t find it. This is such a basic requirement of text and books. If not, is there a way around it as I need this function for my text (without using numbers in brackets).

Thanks

Darren

Posted by
harrisdaz
Sep 26, 2011 3:06am PDT
harrisdaz

Astounding that Blurb has not added a way to do footnotes and superscript yet.

I agree with the previous poster that superscript is “such a basic requirement of text and books.”

It’s closing in on four years since this question was initially asked, and still no solution?

How can you even go public with a text engine at all if it doesn’t support superscript?

Mind boggling. Please get superscript working ASAP, Blurb!

Posted by
pygmalion
Nov 27, 2011 9:11pm PDT
pygmalion

Nearly 5 years now! Please hurry up Blurb. I can’t publish another book until you do… You’re clearly losing money because of this oversight. Completely agree, it’s a basic function.

Posted by
jacquilucas
Jan 12, 2013 11:13pm PDT
jacquilucas

Wanted to add to the argument here. I’m attempting to publish all of my university work to keep for future reference etc. Amazed that you cannot put footnotes in these books. Even more amazed that this hasn’t been tackled in 5 years. Self publishing would surely be something some academics would value, small print numbers etc. why no footnotes, and why no answer?

Posted by
tobble
Jul 15, 2013 1:26pm PDT
tobble

More than five years since this original post and still no action from blurb? We need superscript/subscript and footnote capability. Come on blurb, you’re in the book business – that’s the most basic of provisions for books.

Posted by
colinpeckham
Aug 7, 2013 2:04am PDT
colinpeckham