BookSmart

Blotchy Areas in Photos. Is there a solution?

I’ve ordered a couple of books and though I’m very impressed with the quality of the books themselves, I’ve had some issues with photo quality.

When printing photos taken with a Canon EOS 350D, many of the darker photo areas are blotchy and lack photo detail. I think this is only an issue with the photos I’ve taken with this camera but I’m not sure why. They’ve been imported straight into the BookSmart with no alteration or manipulation and the photos look fine on a calibrated monitor.

I really want to continue printing but I can’t if I can’t get decent quality/contrast from my photos? Has anyone has a similar problem or know what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Pete.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
petercooke88
May 7, 2008 3:25am PDT
petercooke88

Hello Pete;

If the images are "blotchy" then I would look at the printing quality, and if it’s poor – report it to Blurb. They WILL make good on printing errors…

However, I suspect that they are just dark; which is a known BookSmart / Blurb problem with images which have a great deal of dark shades in them…

It’s to do with the fact that BookSmart converts the sRGB images into CMYK for commercial printing, and the CMYK colour spectrum is not as great as sRGB…

If you want a more accurate rendition you need to follow a "soft-proofing" work-flow and download the ICC profile Blurb uses for it’s big printers…

Run an "All Forums" search for "ICC Profile" and/or "Softproofing" and you’ll get a ton of information…

That aside, I personally feel that Blurb need to refine the algorithms they use to run the sRGB to CMYK conversion… I feel that the vast majority of users on here won’t have a clue about colour-management and that MUST be losing Blurb business, because users will just go away disappointed with their results…

Anyhow, I hope to have answered tyour question;

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
May 7, 2008 3:45am PDT
lkb-28

Pete,

I believe with your Canon 350D it can be set to use either sRGB or aRGB (Adobe RGB) as the default colour space when capturing the photos. If the photos you are trying to load into BookSmart are aRGB then you will not get a good print, it is only happy with sRGB.

So check the colour space of those photos, if they are aRGB you will need to convert to sRGB before importing.

Not saying this is the problem, just that it might be.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
May 7, 2008 4:36am PDT
tfrankland

Ok, thanks guys. I’ll have a play around and might to a few tests to see if i can get some better results.

Posted by
petercooke88
May 13, 2008 3:40pm PDT
petercooke88