BookSmart

Final print quality of font when saving in JPEG

I’ve been using Photoshop for some text pages and saving it in JPEG format, mostly because of versatility with word placement and graphic effects.

How will the font turn out in the final print?

On the BookSmart screen, the font looks grainy, as it does on a printed proof. The font looks fine when opening the JPEG file with other viewing software. The image size is 2063×2067 pixels at 300 dpi, as suggested. As the reason for doing the font this way is to increase the quality of the publication, I’d like some reassurance that it’ll work or an alternative solution if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
ABILLC
Aug 20, 2007 12:06am PDT
ABILLC

Wish I could help.. but it should look fine.  The real issue is with the dpi and 300 is fine.  Is the font used set to smooth with anti-aliasing on?  If so, you should be fine. 

Posted by
Jingothecat
Aug 20, 2007 8:03am PDT
Jingothecat

Your images are most likely correct and this is actually a software bug that we have seen and fixed in the upcoming release (next month). BookSmart isn’t doing a great job of rendering the high-res jpg text for screen viewing. If you go ahead and upload this book most likely the printed book will be fine. I’d suggest ordering one book as a proof to confirm.

- Chad, VP Product Design

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Aug 20, 2007 12:24pm PDT
CapnScrappy

Thanks for your comments!

Posted by
ABILLC
Aug 20, 2007 1:51pm PDT
ABILLC

Anytime you turn text into a photo, you’re going to be able to see the pixels. My suggestion in Photoshop is to make sure your text is 100%K throughout. This will get rid of any stray color in your type that might not register correctly.

From what I’ve read on Blurb, JPEG is the only format to do a custom book without their layout software completely controlling your every move. So I think you’re stuck with JPEG format.

Posted by
qwiss13
Aug 30, 2007 1:09pm PDT
qwiss13

Ah, I see that this particular forum discussion has been discussed few months ago – August 2007, and this is now November. I don’t think people will come back and continue to discuss it.

However, I am remain hopeful that original poster and perhaps Chad from Blurb confirm this. I would like to know if ABILLC or Jingothecat, or anyone else (who has done a custom full-bleed design with InDesign—then export InDesign document as PDF, and then open it in Photoshop and save all the work as JPG) and that those who (as few others above, and myself) has had discovered problem with “fuzzy, jazzy” result on BookSmart application.

I am in middle of finalize the final stage of BookSmart by incorporating Photoshop/InDesign piece.

Can anyone offer a couple of snapshot of those fuzzy look on BookSmart application AND the result on Blurb book that is published. I want to see some solid evidence if printing works out nicely regardless of hiccup going on with Blurb Booksmart application.

Chad, I see that Blurb has released 1.9.1 only few weeks ago, and there is same bug problem and reported here. And I realize that I see that Blurb already released 1.9.2, and I don’t think itself resolve a problem related to what we are seeing with funny behavior associated with Photoshop JPG files on BookSmart.

I will file a feature enhancement request to address this issue. I suspect that individuals like myself who use InDesign (and Photoshop) working with customized full-bleed design project, and that we’ll be seeing the same old bug problem all over again. It would be nice if Blurb software engineering team work on this horrible bug problem. It is truly important that it must be addressed promptly, the better.

Because I spent lot of hours, energy and with all toolbox I have, BookSmart is impossible to work with. I almost gave up, just barely.

Perhaps that Blurb should set up a special advisory team that works with software engineers and advise them to do what see fits and all. I know that not every feature enhancement would be met on timely basis, but THIS feature request MUST be under consideration now, the better.

I’ll write a couple of feature enhancement requests and push the Blurb team to the envelope and hope for the best. And I think that Blurb software engineering team should invite some selected individual participants as “alpha testers” and report back the bug back to software engineering team and work on removing bug problem. So that there is less buggy problem reported once the BookSmart app release to the general public.

However, I recognize that BookSmart itself is still a beta stage, so I can’t say much about that. However I would stronly encourage that Blurb software engineering team (and the management) to reexamine the priorities around improving BookSmart – to make it a better application. The rest is up to Blurb.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Nov 17, 2007 5:29pm PDT
brianbonitz

I just posted a 130 page all-text book. Using the built in "word processing" tools in BookSmart was not an option as it was pretty lousy. Besides I got the impression that converting to 300dpi JPEGS at a certain resolution would yield perfect results.

However, the PDF preview after uploading the book revealed crappy text.

Back to scratch in other words. Anyone have any tips on how to do this correctly? 

Posted by
mono
Nov 18, 2007 8:14am PDT
mono

Brian, 

As the Cap’n said the bug is in the screen rendering, not the printing.  I’ve seen many Blurb books obviously done without the use of Booksmart formating that look perfect.  For example take a look at Prefab Green by Michelle Kaufmann. It’s as beautifully rendered as any architecture book you’d buy at a bookstore.  I saw it and others, at the Apple show this year at Moscone, that were spectacular. The Booksmart program has obvious problems with text handling, fonts, default storage location etc. but it’s also obvious they’re pedaling as fast as they can, and are committed to continual improvement.  It’s a deceptively complex program that’s pretty easy for the average person to use while still allowing pros to do their thing.

Perhaps if you did a test book with pics et al from all your high-end software, you could answer some of your questions for yourself.  These longwinded, less than helpfull rants only encourage me (and I suspect most others) to skip right over your posts.  After you’ve actually made a book, you can decide for yourself if Blurb is for you, or if you need to move on.

Posted by
yonosey
Nov 18, 2007 11:16am PDT
yonosey

Brian,
I would suggest using illustrator or photoshop if the final file needs to be a jpg with text. InDesign is lousy at exporting to jpg, the text comes out very pixelated. As far as going InDesign to pdf to jpg, well I tried pdf to jpg and while the photos looked good, my text looked bad. Personally, I’m trying illustrator files opened in photoshop to let photoshop do the converting to jpg, since it’s an image based program.

Posted by
piktor1
Jan 2, 2008 2:06pm PDT
piktor1

Just curious if the "proof" we’re encouraged to order to check the quality of Blurb’s work is eligible for refund it we find that the result is not satisfactory.

One copy of my book cost more than $150 dollars and there’s no option for a "proof" copy that I can see! 

Donna

Posted by
donnat
Jan 4, 2008 4:42pm PDT
donnat

Piktor1,

When you say you export InDesign PDF, how did you come up with a JPG format? You didn’t really explain the exact, precise step on your end.

In my case and my experience with my professional-grade custom design around Adobe CS3 apps (e.g. InDesign and Photoshop), it has proven doable and attainable procedure. The books that I have work around with Adobe CS3 and eventually import JPG files (from Photoshop) into BookSmart app.

As for exporting PDF files straight out of InDesign, then importing PDF files into Photoshop, that is where lot of work involved. It is a little crazy and nutty procedure. But that is where I have managed to do this workflow all the way from start of project with InDesign to BookSmart, including Photoshop. When import PDF files into Photoshop, be sure to export it as HIGH quality format of JPG.

However, I do not recommend that you export your work or files out of InDesign to JPG right away. You need to export all of your work or custom design project in Indesign TO PDF.

To help you better understand what I am trying to say all along, have a look at this link below to address this procedure:

Blurberati Blog Article: “How to import your custom design… from Adobe InDesign CS3
http://blurberatiblog.com/index.php/2007/05/03/how-to-import-your-custom-design-into-booksmart/

This also cover Photoshop procedure to accept your InDesign PDF files into Photoshop, and you need to rasterize the PDF files into JPG files in Photoshop. Be sure to save them to high-quality format of JPG. Finally, do the last step of import of Photoshop JPG files into BookSmart. It sounds like lot of work, it is true. But it is well worth the effort, patience to make it work.

Once again, I *do* not recommend InDesign export custom design files as JPG straight from InDesign app.

I hope this helps to clear up, no?

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jan 4, 2008 11:05pm PDT
brianbonitz

Donna,

Perhaps that you need to talk to customer service rep about this issue.

The participants at Blurb forums only helping other Blurb participants with possible workaround tips or solutions, but remember that most participants are like you or me – volunteering helping other participants. I am not employee of Blurb, only just volunteering and offering some help or suggestion with other topics or tips.

So, in your case, please submit web contact form here:
http://www.blurb.com/help/

Hope that helps.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jan 4, 2008 11:08pm PDT
brianbonitz