BookSmart

1.9.5 moves at a snail's pace...

So I’m nearly finished with my huge book project for my architect client, thank goodness.

But Booksmart has proven so buggy, I’m honestly considering whether I’ll make any more books with Blurb at all—and this is after upgrading from the nearly useless 1.9.4.

If I’m not contending with ‘the spinning beach ball of death,’ waiting interminably for the software, I’m dealing with a bunch of other annoying bugs, like:

• preview mode zooms into a large, unusable size every time I click the button;
• though I’m typing white text on black pages, every single text entry defaults to black, forcing me to manually change it;
• it takes forever to switch between edit and preview mode;
• just scrolling through the page templates causes the software to hang for a minute or two.

Sigh,

This software has literally added hours to my workflow in completing this 165 page book, sheesh. Next time I sell a book project to a client, I’ll have to think long and hard about my vendor.

Blurb has been great in many ways—publication, finishing, customer service have all been a pleasure, but I’ve just about had it with their crappy software.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
jimscolari
Jun 8, 2008 8:27am PDT
jimscolari

Hi jimscolari,

Ah, the beach ball of death. Sorry to hear about that.

Running Software Update is the single best way to improve performance on Macs. If you’ve got a Power PC processor, BookSmart won’t run much faster. But if you’re on an Intel-based Mac, BookSmart should be reasonably quick and running Software Update should help.

Best regards and thanks for your patience and perseverance,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Jun 9, 2008 10:37am PDT
jbates

its a nice, new intel mac book, a gig of ram, running at 2GHz… should be speedy, I know, that’s why I’m aggravated.

Posted by
jimscolari
Jun 12, 2008 9:42am PDT
jimscolari

Jeremy, I just ran a software update and I am on an Intel-based Mac. It didn’t help. Any other suggestions to increase the speed of Booksmart?

In the past this was never a problem. It seems to be the current version that has the bug. Any possibility of getting an older version of Booksmart?  

Posted by
jpeter
Jun 19, 2008 7:03am PDT
jpeter

Howdy all,

Hmmm, other variables could be

a) the amount of free disk space you have on your HD (10GB or more free is good for maximum use of virtual memory)

b) the mumber of other programs you have open (please restart your computer, and if necessary under your Account settings area, remove some programs from your list of startup items)

c) memory. While 512MB is minimum, 1GB or more is recommended. And 1GB might not get too far if other programs, especially big ones like Photoshop, are also running. 

***Also, please note that while you can now change your book directory to a network or external drive, writing to those drives as you create your book will be slower (sometimes significantly) than writing to your local HD. 

Hope this helps!
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Jun 19, 2008 10:05am PDT
jbates

Does anyone have any suggestions as to another quality vendor?
I am in need of completing a project pretty quickly and I am experiencing the same problems and cannot continue to use this software because of the amount of time wasted waiting.
Christy

Posted by
jctobey
Jun 19, 2008 4:18pm PDT
jctobey

This just happened to me and I’m very upset.

Jeremy or other Blurb staff, please reply with instructions for downloading the previous version of Booksmart (prior to 1.9.5). My very new, very fast Mac is running just fine. All I want is the previous version of your software.

Posted by
stephenyoung
Jun 24, 2008 10:09am PDT
stephenyoung

After I ran software updates, I “repaired permissions” and it seemed to make Booksmart (1.9.5) work fine. I was having lots of problems before.
Click on the spotlight
type…disc utility
Select your Hard Drive
then select Repair permissions

The gurus at the apple store told me to do this every time I ran a software update on my mac.
Hope this works for you.
C

Posted by
jctobey
Jun 24, 2008 11:57am PDT
jctobey

Thanks re: Repair Permissions. Trying that now.

Posted by
stephenyoung
Jun 24, 2008 5:14pm PDT
stephenyoung

I’ve had the same problems.  I’ve done a couple of other books before without any difficulties, but now I have to fight the program all the way.  It’s annoying….

Posted by
deanna1949
Jun 25, 2008 6:03pm PDT
deanna1949

I downloaded the update for 1.9.5 and it is unbelievaly slow. It has been 15 minutes and the pages are still loading. I will not work with this update. What will I need to do to go back to 1.9.5?

Posted by
dbreaker
Sep 4, 2008 10:59am PDT
dbreaker

The update (1.9.6 or 1.9.7)  stores the photos in a quite different way to 1.9.5, what is happening when you first open a book created in 1.9.5 is that it is having to recreate that new style of cache for each page. That does take a long time.

But it is worth it, once done you will notice that subsequent uses or Booksmart are noticeably faster.

..........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 4, 2008 11:58am PDT
tfrankland

A Gig of Ram with a 165 page book?  I would expect that to be pretty painful. Unless you have few photos or small ones. People don’t buy their computers for desktop publishing or video editing, then wonder why those very intensive tasks are so slow. I’d bet if you dumped everything into your Word Processor you’d be less than impressed with the performance too.

Blurb has to keep all your photos together in memory. Using 1.9.4 I’ve got a 120 page book with 1.46 GB of photos. With a computer with 1 Gb it crawls and page-to-page movements hurt. It wasn’t painful when it was a 20 page book. That’s because I’ve exhausted my computer’s memory and from there everything goes downhill. Desktop publishing requires Gigs of memory. Larger project; larger memory. Photoshop users use dedicated scratch disks to speed photoshop because it can require fast – disk dumps because it eats even gigs of memory. If you are going to do desktop publishing, you need Gigs of RAM and fast disks (7200RPM spec; or 10000RPM if you can afford them). Cheaper computers use 5400RPM and cheap laptops will even use 4200RPM disks. This makes everything slow, especially when loading, and if you run out of memory a slower drive will be excruciating compared to a 7200RPM(making the best of a bad situation)  I moved Booksmart to a machine with 4 gigs and after the initial building of all the pages and thumbnails(which is CPU & disk Intensive), I could flip through the book with less than a second of hesitation. I can now work on my book again.

You can’t expect ANY computer to be capable of performing EVERY task.

Posted by
royalef
Sep 5, 2008 5:47am PDT
royalef

I’ve been trying to write a book that moves at a snail’s pace.  I will type a sentence, then wait 5 second for it to appear.  If I need to add a page, it adds it at the end, so the only way to add one in between is to hit enter  multiple time then come back and type (at a snails pace).  I have printed what I have so far (about 80 pages equaling about 35 full pages) on this book, so that I can retype it in word and have it printed by another vendor that will print directly from word or PDF.  For images only blurb is good, but for text, it is the pits.

Posted by
Napo
Sep 26, 2008 9:41pm PDT
Napo