BookSmart

Locked OpenType support?

Any chance that the freely-available-for-four-years-now JAVA code for basic OpenType handling can be integrated into BookSmart?

Not asking for much. Just the ability to use modern-day format of fonts…

Posted by
JohnRenner
Jun 10, 2008 11:21am PDT
JohnRenner

Hi JohnRenner,

It used to be that a Java bug specific to Macs incorrectly outlined OpenType and PostScript fonts. However, Apple has addressed that issue, and we generally no longer need to advise folks against the use of OpenType of PostScript fonts. 

The bottom line is that if the font shows up in the list of typefaces in BookSmart, and looks good in preview mode, it will print great. It the font doesn’t show up in the list, there might be something else going on, as many if not most of my OpenType fonts here at Blurb HQ show up in BookSmart just fine.

If you’ve got a specific font you want to use, please reply to this message. Maybe a fellow forum member knows of a version that will work in BookSmart.

Best regards,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Jun 10, 2008 11:49am PDT
jbates

I am using Myriad Pro on a Mac for my Blurb book.  Preview shows the font bold-ish on some lines of text when it should be "regular" and on other lines it is fine… in "regular" like it should look.  Is this evidence of an OpenType of PostScript font failing in BookSmart’s Preview?

Posted by
cutlerch
Jun 30, 2008 2:40pm PDT
cutlerch

Good question, cutlerch.

This isn’t necessarily what’s going on, although it’s possible. If you pasted the text from Word (or another text editing program), it’s more likely that BookSmart is misreading the formatting. Please paste as plain text and then apply formatting, and it should behave correctly.

If you’re typing directly into BookSmart and getting that kind of weirdness, then perhaps the issue indeed has to do with the font family. If that’s the case, and you’d like us to look into it further, please contact customer support and include a link to this thread (so they’ll know I asked to look at the issue). 

Best regards,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Jun 30, 2008 3:51pm PDT
jbates